Suggestion, make defensive missions possible between rounds

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
Makuru

Suggestion, make defensive missions possible between rounds

Post by Makuru »

I play as the EU and one thing that annoys me to no end is, if i take over a single seed in a country the ai immediately leaves the federation whats all fair and all but to prevent it i need to stop their councilor to do it, what is hard, the only way to do it is too imprison every councilor the have to stop them and that's not feasible also if the attack you you cant really defend against it making the whole thing pretty useless except maybe too bost other missions so the help that it would be nice to be able to cancel a mission and to then see where there going and then detain them before the get any funny ideas, to extra help it would be good to warn the player of attacks to react to.
All in all, i think that would help the game feel more responsive and allow for more strategies.
KinSeth2

Re: Suggestion, make defensive missions possible between rounds

Post by KinSeth2 »

That leads to a problem itself though. That would become the absolute best strat for anything ever.

Side A holds EU
Side B holds Germany.

Side A starts trying to take Germany. If they succeed, that country will no longer exist at all effectively for side B. Side B will have no ability to reclaim or fight back for it. Side B needs to avoid this outcome at all costs, so they leave the EU. Makes sense. Looking at it from Side B as the player as well, if we implement defensives between rounds and the AI does it to you... It feels like you have no counterplay.

As it is right now, I think it's fine. Side B has Germany Leave the EU. Side A now has a choice. Take it and wait the 2+ years to integrate it or go to war and get it immediately at the cost of a hit to economy. I personally use this effect intentionally! I will take a single spot in a country, and they will leave the federation. Well, now I can declare war on them. Useful for smaller countries. sucks more for bigger countries, but bigger benefits means bigger challenges. Seems fair.
Makuru

Post by Makuru »

It comes at quite a cost tho, you would need to dedicate 3 councilors to do it 1 to do the purge mission 1 to recon (except if you had infiltrated them earlier) and one ready to go in and stop him, (maybe as a different mission)? In this way it still comes at a cost, is it worth it to dedicate 3 councilors to do it? Maybe for Germany but for Romania? Especially if the player B can just send 2 guys, it would allow the academy to even protect itself after the event for sacrificing their missions for half a year.
KinSeth2

Post by KinSeth2 »

The purge mission isn't really a factor to this. You are getting the same as you always would for a purge mission. Taking a place. In what you are telling me, you are using a councilor to recon and a councilor to engage. That seems like too little to fully lockdown a country from being able to make any political decisions while you casually pick it apart.

And then what about the other way around? You are trying to lockdown this place from doing this, but they already have their own defensive councilor in place. Or in another situation where some AI just plants a defensive councilor in your country and tells you that you can't fix unrest or public opinion there anymore. You gonna sacrifice a councilor to recon them/investigate and then kill them? What if you can't even see them doing it? It leads to a really bad feel when it's used against the player. I get why you want it as the player, but if it gets used against you it's just gonna feel really bad. It could be completely blindsiding.

I'm not wholly opposed to the idea of a springloaded reactionary action for councilors. But it can't be implemented how you are saying without feeling really bad if the AI does it to you.
Makuru

Post by Makuru »

I guess it's a bit op but reactionary would be very useful indeed, maybe you could only do it if you have a certain CP like a police force? But that runs in to the same problem and in the mean I could just coup them
On a side note, I had once a problem where the ai wanted the ISS, the failed and now they're stuck up there and I don't know what to do to them. If I could just throw them in a Soyuz capsel to get rid of them
KinSeth2

Post by KinSeth2 »

I mean... they have lost a councilor then, yeah? That's a win!