Is the demo worth playing without saves?

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
GeneralLemarc

Is the demo worth playing without saves?

Post by GeneralLemarc »

I don't think I've ever been more hype for a game, but I tend to play games in shorter settings of under an hour or so, and from the videos I've seen from people like Perun that's barley any time at all for TI. Has it been updated for saves to be allowed, and if not is it still worth playing regardless?
GeneralLemarc

Re: Is the demo worth playing without saves?

Post by GeneralLemarc »

I'm only now realizing that I can just leave my computer on overnight to bypass this, but given that the area I live in is under basically-permanent energy conservation orders due to a severe heatwave, that may not be an option given that my laptop would have to be plugged in basically until I finished all seven years.
Velorian

Post by Velorian »

Well unfortunately the demo is gone for now, as it was only ever meant to be available for a week or so.

I actually had much the same problem and kept a game going for several days after the demo had been deleted, by making my steam offline and making my laptop use "Hibernate" (not sleep, so it doesn't use power). Normally I would have expected a game to crash after getting this treatment, but it managed to keep going through 6 of these breaks without any crash. Amusingly Steam considered all those hours of hibernation to have been actively played and stated I had played the demo nearly 200 hours... :lol:

I think it was definitely worth playing, though I'd rather play a full version obviously. It certainly seems pretty far along in development, but I guess they still need to finish polishing the finer points since the release date is rather vague.
GeneralLemarc

Post by GeneralLemarc »

Why did they get rid of it?
Velorian

Post by Velorian »

I think it was part of the original demo announcement, but it's possible I'm just paraphrasing from my memory of it.

As I understand it the demo was released because the original official release date had been reached, and they wanted to show that the game really was nearly done, and it coincided with some sort of Steam event, so they released the demo for that event only.

I've heard someone claim that it's intended to release a new demo just before release. Not sure if that's true, but I'm buying the game as soon as it releases anyhow. I kinda thought when the demo released that the full release was immediately imminent, but apparently not. They did announce that the game is "feature complete", so it really is just balancing/patches and similar that's lacking.

I'm guessing they just want to maximize the initial reviews by not releasing a rushed product as seems to be the custom nowadays. I can certainly understand that, and even somewhat approve, but I do sort of want access immediately anyhow... ;)