My first experiences with the game and a question

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
Skeltek

My first experiences with the game and a question

Post by Skeltek »

Hi everyone,
new to this forum. I heard about the game by accident and still serioulsy do not remember how I got on that Steam page.
I've been interested in all sciences as well as economy and politics (especially geopolitics) since I was a small kid, so I got curious.
There was a guy doing a live stream on steam, seemed interesting, I got the Demo immediately.

Now I was doing intense fact checking on geopolitics for the last several months since the conflict in eastern europe escalated. Weirdly enough, when I started the Demo for the very first time, the Ufo crashlanded in Eastern Ukraine, the Donbas was on fire and russian tanks stationed there firing...
I was a bit irritated to say the least and kind of curious. My first thoughts were about how that was kind of innovative but had mixed feelings not knowing wether or not this game was going to be some political propaganda thing. I had no time to play that day, so I closed the demo. Next day I realized the whole thing havin been a giant coincidence, since for over 50 game startes, I did not get the same starting conditions again (I even asked a friend to help wether it would be the same 'seed' for him on his first starting of the Demo.

All in all this is almost exactly the game I had in mind to make many years ago, but lacked the 'manpower' and hours to do anything about it or even hope of finishing anything with a similar amount of professionality. The geopolitics are intuitive and represent world mechanics as good as you can expect from a game. Problem is finding out the details about many things. For example I am now 2 years into the game and still do not find any buttons or research to launch things into space, while the rival factions keep shooting probes and things to mars.

Now about my question:
I took over a halfway 'unified EU country' from an opponent, after he experienced a crackdown on all of his control points. I had to research 'Council Engineering Projects Management' and could barely get my influence income back to positive values (control point value 128 against cap of 88).
I united Greece with the EU, which reduced my control point worth, bringing me to about +90 influence/month.
To 'centralize' the government in hopes of reducing total amount of control points and thereby requiring less unfluence to maintain control, I also united Sweeded into the EU -> then my control point 'worth' of the EU country made an upward leap and now I am at a significant negative influence income(control point value 133 against cap of 88).
-> Now I am curious how the worth of the control points of a nation is exactly calculated. You do one thing in the game to decrease the control cost and end up requiring a higher control point cap.
After also uniting with Finnland, the control point score score went back down to 129/88 btw.
Skeltek

Re: My first experiences with the game and a question

Post by Skeltek »

Oh, just a hint:
You may want to have a separate demo for internal beta testing of late game content (you will get much less public feedback on late game content otherwise).
I think being unable to save in the demo is an interesting choice on your part, but some may presume you are trying to hide some misbalancing of geopolitics and the space portion of the game.