Starting Council

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
matthewdlynes@yahoo.com

Starting Council

Post by matthewdlynes@yahoo.com »

One of the more frustrating aspect of the demo is the set of starting councilors you get.
I would like to see the ability to build a counselor, with the cost rising as you add various tasks, skills points and various attributes.
Beanstalk

Re: Starting Council

Post by Beanstalk »

I agree that the current situation just encourages people to restart the game over and over until they get starting councilors they like.

But I don't think a full blown councilor-creator is necessary (and way too expensive in terms of dev-time). Just let us pick from a list of like 15 generated ones and be done with it.
Skeltek

Post by Skeltek »

I think it is a pretty sure guess to assume the Devs will implement a 'seed' mechanic. Currently the game is using random variables to determine things - it wouldn't be that hard to bing th initialization of the random number generator using the hash value of a alphanumerical string.
It would be a design question though, if they want to reroll the random number generator initialization variable at game loads though or keep a small stockpile of them pre-saved...
May be bad idea or good, but it proides at least a few things happening the same after a game crash and having to reload. It can be frustrating to reload and something good not happening again, or being unable to prevent something which makes the next turn always turn to a loss.
It's old standard techniques, which people sophisticated enough to make such a game sure know about.
spacedoggo
Terra Invicta Beta Tester

Post by spacedoggo »

Here's how I'd do it: Start with a list of all professions, and let the player pick 3. No duplicates.

Want to start with an Evangelist/Celebrity/Politician to rush control points and maybe ditch later?

Maybe an Executive/Inspector/Kingpin for a more balanced run?

Or a Scientist/Journalist/Commando because you are terrible at the game? or looking for a challenge?

Have fun!
Beanstalk

Post by Beanstalk »

spacedoggo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:45 am Here's how I'd do it: Start with a list of all professions, and let the player pick 3. No duplicates.
I like that idea.