Request : a "Developpers' unread post" button in the forum's functions

Issues related to the forum itself.
Jeckhyl

Request : a "Developpers' unread post" button in the forum's functions

Post by Jeckhyl »

... because discussions between players can be really interesting, but what I really care for are the posts written by the devs.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Request : a "Developpers' unread post" button in the forum's functions

Post by johnnylump »

If someone who is smarter with phpBB than I am can tell me how to set that up, I'll try to make it happen. I haven't seen anything like it but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Only example I've ever seen is Blizzard's official forums have a "next blue post" button at the top of threads (blue posts being Blizz devs). But I have no idea how their forum backend compares to phpBB.
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

mattprice516 wrote:Only example I've ever seen is Blizzard's official forums have a "next blue post" button at the top of threads (blue posts being Blizz devs). But I have no idea how their forum backend compares to phpBB.
Unfortunately the only forum I read with this magic button is very dead - IIRC it was the original Hellgate:London forum, some years ago.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I think Paradox forums have something similar, which allows filtering to only view developer posts. But no idea on how it is implemented.
Razmoudah

Post by Razmoudah »

Unfortunately I haven't worked with the code for phpBB so I don't know exactly how it would work. I can make a stab in the dark though. If the devs' accounts (I'm assuming more than one developer here) had a special tag to them, like the admins have, then all you'd need is an extra button that just directs someone to the oldest unread post for that special tag. It'd be a sort of specialized search shortcut button, similar to how a user can use the User Control Panel to quickly search for all of their own posts without having to do an Advanced Search. Now if I had a book on phpBB I'd say give me a day and I could probably figure out how to do something like that. I'm certain I could do it in that time frame with Basic, Visual Basic, or C++ if I had a decent reference book to work with and I highly doubt phpBB is more complex than them (especially considering just how many people manage to create code with it who I swear don't understand programming in general, glad this isn't one of those places).