Help with modding

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
johanlh

Help with modding

Post by johanlh »

Hello fellas,

I started playing XEW again after some years of rest, and I am planning to switch to LW soon. However, I have been doing some tweaking to the difficulty of vanilla XEW with mods and I wanted to add some features to the vanilla XEW from LW. Specifically the 3 perk options.

Will this forum a good place to look for help about modding?

Best Regards
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Help with modding

Post by johnnylump »

Most active XCOM EU/EW modders right now are the Long War Rebalance guys over on the Nexus. They might have some tools that make it easier to do modular changes. Good luck.
johanlh

Post by johanlh »

Thank you johnnny,

I was trying to update the code from Amineri from this mod: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Enha ... OMEU:_2012

She made it for EU, but the update version was integrated in LW and Vanilla XEW never got an updated standalone version.

Can I extract the code from the LW script files to make the three perk options as an standalone mod?

I actually don`t know much about modding xcom, but I am learning and I think I can pull off something reading the well done documentation.

Regards
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Possibly? It depends on how much the relevant code was mixed in with other LW-specific changes. Also depends on how many changes we made for that particular feature. I don't recall of the top of my head the answer to either ... it would take me several hours, at a minimum, to start sorting that out. :) (Been a long time)

Modding EU/EW boils down to hex-editing. We had some tools to make that easier, and I believe the tools may have evolved since then. I know WastelandGhost and others did several smaller, "modular" mods, so their work might be a good template for you, and the LWR team are the up-to-date experts.
johanlh

Post by johanlh »

johnnylump wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:09 am Possibly? It depends on how much the relevant code was mixed in with other LW-specific changes. Also depends on how many changes we made for that particular feature. I don't recall of the top of my head the answer to either ... it would take me several hours, at a minimum, to start sorting that out. :) (Been a long time)

Modding EU/EW boils down to hex-editing. We had some tools to make that easier, and I believe the tools may have evolved since then. I know WastelandGhost and others did several smaller, "modular" mods, so their work might be a good template for you, and the LWR team are the up-to-date experts.
Hello there johnny, I started my endevour this week and I have made some progress using the very well documented information Amineri put in the wiki and looking to your LW's source files.

I was able to figure somethings out and I am receiving guidance from a very good xcom modder and also from wghost herself.

The funny thing is that nobody wants to have anything to do with HEX nowdays XD, so I am doing the dirty work.

As you said, Amineri's code was made for EU and LW for XEW, there are differences, but I am trying to make a mix. I only want the normal perks, not the psi and gene-mod stuff. So I have to modify the code to make things that way.

I am learning a lot with this, and I started to play LW this week too, but I want at least finish what I started and let that option at least for the people behind me that will play XEW first.

I will let you see the end result, maybe in one week or two, it depends of my speed and the obstacles I find in the road.

Best Regards