What exactly is a "Bullet Wizard" build?

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
SouthpawHare

What exactly is a "Bullet Wizard" build?

Post by SouthpawHare »

I've heard this term used a lot to refer to a certain type of Gunner build, in both LW 1 and 2, but never actually seen it defined or explained.

My initial assumption has been that it's based off of abilities don't require to-hit rolls, such as dealing automatic damage by suppressing, or by applying debuffs. This means that the Gunner just expends bullets to get effects without attacking, sort of like a spellcaster spending mana.

However, I've also heard the term used to refer to Gunners that do high damage, shoot a lot, use lots of cooldown abilities, or use specifically suppression. Some of these things have partial overlap, while others are the complete opposite. What is the actual intended definition?
bilfdoffle
Long War 2 Crew

Re: What exactly is a "Bullet Wizard" build?

Post by bilfdoffle »

So I'm fairly sure Youtuber 'beaglerush' conceptualized the bullet wizard build and coined the term in one of his playthroughs. In general, the bullet wizard shoots out a bunch of bullets and things happen. At the time, the danger zone suppression radius had increased from about 1 tile to 3 tiles (an actually useful amount of AoE). Adding in mayhem, holotargeting, and shredder, and you can holo+shred, apply suppression, and do a minimal amount of damage to several enemies at once.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Re: What exactly is a "Bullet Wizard" build?

Post by mattprice516 »

Yeah, you have it pretty much correct OP - a "bullet wizard" focuses on all the support abilities, and perks which enhance those abilities. It stands in contrast to a pure damage gunner who focuses on firing many, high damage, mech-destroying (HEAT) rounds as accurately as possible.