Suggestion: Allow ship class name changes on invalid refits.

Chris D

Suggestion: Allow ship class name changes on invalid refits.

Post by Chris D »

I really like the changes that have been made recently, with one exception.
I like that when you upgrade a ship with a valid refit, it names it XXX Block N. I think this is great, as it makes it obvious what ships can be upgraded into other ships, etc.
The problem is that in V3.99 you can't edit these names, even on an invalid refit.
When I research a new drive, I go into the upgrade screen, look at the various numbers, and remove the old drive and reactor the ship was using put a new drive and reactor in, and compare the new numbers. I might make some other changes, but the problem is that if I like the new design I can only save this new ship with the name XXX Block 5. Even though it is totally invalid refit for other blocks of the same name. I don't want to have to start with a blank slate and fill in every component again, I want to be able to take my last design, and just tweak it to the new drive and reactor.
And since the new ship is NOT a valid refit, I want to start a new class name.

So my suggestion is that valid refits should have the old class name, with Block N.
Invalid refits should have a new class name without a block number.

Thanks.
PAwleus

Re: Suggestion: Allow ship class name changes on invalid refits.

Post by PAwleus »

I would even go further: valid refit names should also be possible to edit because eg. a player might not like the current naming convention. Ideally, if there is a number at the end of the name I would suggest a valid refit name should automatically change just the number for the next one (but still the name should be editable by a player).
Starstrider42

Post by Starstrider42 »

I'm on 0.3.99 and I can't reproduce this bug; I can name a ship class anything I want, refit or no refit. Steps to non-reproduce:

1. Load a saved game.
2. Choose an existing ship design and upgrade it.
3. Replace the reactor (and drive, if need be) with a different type.
4. Set the class name to something arbitrary, e.g. "This is a test".
5. Click save design.
6. Confirm that the This is a test-class exists in the ship class list.

Which step fails for you?

I second PAwleus's suggestion of automatically recognizing and adapting to alternative naming conventions, though.
Chris D

Post by Chris D »

OK, I figured out what is going on.
Everything works identically, until step 4, where I try to change the ship name. What happens is that I see the "XXX Block N" ship name in normal (not inverted or greyed out) letters, and I can move my cursor into the first position of the ships name, but the delete keys do not erase the letters already there, nor will the arrow keys allow me to move my cursor anywhere except the first position. I thought this meant that the field was locked for editing.

Instead, with your comment about "setting the name" I finally thought to just start typing new characters, in which case the default name immediately disappears and my new characters appear.
So it turns out that the name is not locked and uneditable. The problem (and it might just be my problem and that everybody else figured it out instantly), is that it looks like the name is there, and the keys that would normally be used to edit something there (delete and the arrow keys) don't do anything.
StrykeSlammerII

Post by StrykeSlammerII »

Chris D wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:48 pm So it turns out that the name is not locked and uneditable. The problem (and it might just be my problem and that everybody else figured it out instantly), is that it looks like the name is there, and the keys that would normally be used to edit something there (delete and the arrow keys) don't do anything.
I had the same problem, it's not just you :)