Neutral AI nuking?

2alexey

Neutral AI nuking?

Post by 2alexey »

Ok, so I was beating back a little incursion of 5 assault carriers, when Alien armies retreated into servant controlled small African country, to which I promptly declared war, only to find out that Servant Russia will nuke my armies, when I try to kill alien army.
That behavior is weird and I don`t think was intentional, but it get`s more interesting.
I reloaded, made a coup in Russia, and now they are neutral. Exept neutral AI will still nuke my armies engaging Aliens. That behavior can`t be intended. Neutral AI doesn`t have a stake in faction politics, and shouldn`t nuke me if my army enters some far away country, even if technically I`m that army is at war. Neutral AI just doesn`t have anything at stake, and shouldn`t nuke, unless the country itself is invaded, period. And even if invaded, it probably shouldn`t.

I tested several times, and behavior persist.
Ian_W

Re: Neutral AI nuking?

Post by Ian_W »

So, let me get this straight.

In the first case, the faction that wanted to see the Alien Nation prosper used it's nukes to attack the armies that were crushing the Alien Nation.

In the second case, a country's allies were being attacked by a third party, so that country used it's nukes to defend it's allies.

In both cases, what you are seeing is the AI behaving intelligently.
2alexey

Post by 2alexey »

No, I don`t think neutral Russia using nukes to save some small country from regime change is reasonable. If you look at actual precedents. Otherwise Argentina, China, Afganistan, Egypt, ex would be nuclear wastelands. Especially considering retaliation possibility.

Servants I don`t really object to, they are supposed to be lunatics.
Ian_W

Post by Ian_W »

I get it.

You're incompetent.

You were expecting an alien invasion, but had done *none* of the prep work of going 'If they invade *here*, what is our contingency plan ?', and then you had done no work to prepare for it.

The Aliens invaded in Africa, and you didn't have a plan and you scrambled.

You again showed your incompetence by not checking who a country was allied with before declaring war on it.

You then tried savescumming, but again showed your incompetence by not realising that alliances last for a while after a country changes hands, and doing the same stupid thing you did the first time.

So. Yeah.

You're probably going to need to use a lot of nukes and do a fair bit of environmental damage to deal with the landed alien armies.

Have a think about what you did wrong, and next playthrough have a definite plan.

Think about whether you might want to do some prep work of setting up an alliance network of friendly countries that let you get to the interior of continents the Aliens might land in. Note that scrambling to do this between the alien landing and when you need to fight them probably don't work. It is also going to involve spending CP.

But yeah. The problem isn't with the game in any of this. The problem is the noob who is stuffing up, and whining on forums when the game doesn't let them win.
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

Ian_W wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 pm I get it.

You're incompetent.

You were expecting an alien invasion, but had done *none* of the prep work of going 'If they invade *here*, what is our contingency plan ?', and then you had done no work to prepare for it.

You again showed your incompetence by not checking who a country was allied with before declaring war on it.

You then tried savescumming, but again showed your incompetence by not realising that alliances last for a while after a country changes hands, and doing the same stupid thing you did the first time.

So. Yeah.

You're probably going to need to use a lot of nukes and do a fair bit of environmental damage to deal with the landed alien armies.

Have a think about what you did wrong, and next playthrough have a definite plan.

Think about whether you might want to do some prep work of setting up an alliance network of friendly countries that let you get to the interior of continents the Aliens might land in. Note that scrambling to do this between the alien landing and when you need to fight them probably don't work. It is also going to involve spending CP.

But yeah. The problem isn't with the game in any of this. The problem is the noob who is stuffing up, and whining on forums when the game doesn't let them win.
Russia starting a nuclear war over some random country in Africa is pretty silly even if he should have removed them as a threat sooner.
Ian_W

Post by Ian_W »

anonusername wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 pm
Russia starting a nuclear war over some random country in Africa is pretty silly even if he should have removed them as a threat sooner.
[/quote]

A Russia who was deeply penetrated by the Servants ?

Far less unlikely.
2alexey

Post by 2alexey »

Ian_W wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 pm I get it.

You're incompetent.

So. Yeah.
Oh boy. You either can contribute to topic, of why AI that isn't controlled by AI faction nukes in place it has no interest in, or not. AI doesn`t use nukes to defend/attack most of it`s enemies.
So, unless you want to flex your knowledge of how exactly AI decides to nuke, well you have nothing to contribute.
Ian_W wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 pm You're probably going to need to use a lot of nukes and do a fair bit of environmental damage to deal with the landed alien armies.
Not having any issues dealing with alien armies.
Ian_W wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 pm Have a think about what you did wrong, and next playthrough have a definite plan.

Oh boy #2.
Ian_W

Post by Ian_W »

2alexey wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:51 am
Oh boy. You either can contribute to topic, of why AI that isn't controlled by AI faction nukes in place it has no interest in, or not. AI doesn`t use nukes to defend/attack most of it`s enemies.
So, unless you want to flex your knowledge of how exactly AI decides to nuke, well you have nothing to contribute.
You summed it up yourself.

Countries that are allied to them.

Which you can very easily look up before sending your own troops over the border. You just didn't bother.

Going to war with countries that are allied to nuclear powers is dangerous, no matter how entitled you may think you are to declare war on them.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@Ian_W

Warning issued for hostile posting. No reason for taking that tone.
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

Ian_W wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:27 am
anonusername wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 pm Russia starting a nuclear war over some random country in Africa is pretty silly even if he should have removed them as a threat sooner.
A Russia who was deeply penetrated by the Servants ?

Far less unlikely.
Servant Russia doing it is more reasonable, but this topic is for Neutral AI. i.e. not controlled by any faction.