I suck so bad at this game ...

DarthVicious

I suck so bad at this game ...

Post by DarthVicious »

..... and I love every minute of it.

Huge congratulations to the devs. I have had the game for a month. I am still on my 6th attempt at the campaign, and have not yet achieved victory. And I am still considering this 'learning the game. My current playthrough is going well though, and I fully expect to achieve victory in the coming days though there are multiple hurdles still ahead of me, some of which could cause a major stumble.

To be clear. The game is not difficult to learn. The interface and most of the game mechanics are understandable. The brilliance of the game is in the scope of the campaign, and the slow ramping up of the alien response, which hurts you but never kills you outright, always leaving you a chance to recover.

This game is so immersive its unbelievable. It goes to prove that immersion is not about graphics or voice overs or in game movies. It is about creating a narrative in the imagination of the player. This game does it in spades for me.

I love it. Where can I pay more?
Richard Baxton held off four waves of mind worms. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character. People need heroes. They don't need to know he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy.
DarthVicious

Re: I suck so bad at this game ...

Post by DarthVicious »

Holy crap .. this took me three full weekends. And several evenings during the week.
Victory_HF.png
Victory_HF.png (614.39 KiB) Viewed 846 times
I made so many mistakes, there are so many traps in the game ... hate, engines, techs, economies, resources .... i went bankrupt so many times (stupid drives all have catches built into them). But I pushed though just so could identify the next trap, and the next, and the next. And figure out the tech tree with its hidden dependencies :).

Time to start a new campaign. Haven't killed enough aliens yet.
Richard Baxton held off four waves of mind worms. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character. People need heroes. They don't need to know he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy.
UberWaffe

Re: I suck so bad at this game ...

Post by UberWaffe »

Well done.

A bit of a waste of... 'below-market-cost' labour, and lacks a certain irony, but I can appreciate giving a good solid punch in the face.
At least this leaves the exotics production infrastructure open for close inspection.