Proposed Additional Fix for Problems FAQ

anonusername

Proposed Additional Fix for Problems FAQ

Post by anonusername »

I propose an additional entry be added to the "problems playing TI" FAQ. It's technically just the process of selecting the correct performance settings, but may not be obvious because performance will seem good for the first few years of gameplay, and CPU/GPU load will actually drop when the game slows down. (This is because the bottleneck is in RAM/PCIe latency.)

P: Terra Invicta framerate is acceptable to good when playing on Earth or in skirmish, but drops drastically when entering a campaign battle or viewing any other orbital body. Reduced framerate persists until a save is loaded or the game is exited. Slowdown may affect other apps or the desktop as a whole.
S: TI textures are overwhelming available VRAM and spilling to system RAM. Enable texture streaming and reduce texture quality until performance is acceptable.
neilwilkes

Re: Proposed Additional Fix for Problems FAQ

Post by neilwilkes »

Where is that FAQ, please?
In game or on a site somewhere?
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

Thank You.
Not that I am actually having trouble right now, but it's still useful to know these things...

One more question.
When running NVidia drivers, should I use the Gamer drivers or am I okay leaving it on the Studio Drivers?
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

I'm not 100% sure, but the studio drivers should be alright. The biggest differences between the two, to my knowledge, is that the game drivers are updated more frequently so they can be optimized for the latest AAA games, while the studio drivers have a slower update pace to maximize stability. TI is too small to have a dedicated update, so I doubt it matters.