Feedback after finishing the game

Galwail

Feedback after finishing the game

Post by Galwail »

Hi, I have just finished a Resistance game (version 0.3.35 on GOG) and I was thinking about writing a bit of feedback about the game experience. Overall, I liked the game, the theme and most of the game mechanics. The early nation building, getting around in the tech forest, figuring out what works in space, the desperate race to militarize the space when aliens decided to end me … all of that was fun and great. I will try other factions, though I will most likely wait for the 1.0 version. Here are some things I found unfun/annoying:
  • Org management – I just got some useable orgs for my councilors and ignored this mechanic for most of the game. It would help, if there was a UI, that would allow you to swap multiple orgs simultaneously and preview new councilor stats. It would also be great if there was a tier system for orgs. Because some orgs are just way better than others. Like you can have a three-star org that gives +3 stealth and a three-star org that gives +3 stealth, +3 investigation and +3 security. One is way better than the other one and it would be nice, if you could see it immediately in the org list.
  • Combat UI – it is clunky, and it was impossible to control large numbers of ships in any engagement. To the point that I had to auto resolve the last battle, because it was impossible to keep 30 titans in any kind of formation. It would help if the game would provide some sort of formation moves. Like “put these ships back into formation and match their speed”, or “do this maneuver for every selected ship”.
  • Delta V bidding – it is such a weird, gamey, and unintuitive system, that leads to completely unrealistic results. What are those abstract maneuvers that waste hundreds of delta V? How is my 3 mg fleet able to catch a 30 mg alien fleet after expending 700 delta V? It would take weeks to burn that amount of fuel and they would be halfway across the Solar System by then. Fast fleets should just catch slower fleets and force combat, no bidding required. And slow fleets should be forced to hound fast fleets around, until they can escape no more. It would also give purpose to all those high thrust / low efficiency engines the game gives you.
  • Selecting things without focusing them – it would be so nice. To just select a fleet and give an order and unpause. Currently you must wait until the game focuses on the fleet/asset, then you can give the order, then you must refocus on something else, because you can’t speed up time while looking at fleets.
  • Slow UI – some screens are super slow to load. Like the tech tree, intel screen, fleets list. List is annoying.
  • Base/station building – you will build dozens of the same station/base throughout the game, it gets repetitive. It would be great to have a template system. So that you could select a template for your base and the game would just automatically build/rebuild modules.
  • Titans – it is such a weird upgrade. You trade weapons for utility slots and the thing just can’t turn around. I mean there are many engines in the game, that can push it forward super-fast, but why can’t I bolt some better AM maneuvering thrusters on it?