How do I assault an Alien Landing?

neilwilkes

How do I assault an Alien Landing?

Post by neilwilkes »

Validation build 0.3.39 (patch 0.40 does not seem to be available as yet).

I had the Xeno's land in part of the EU, and despite everything I tried it was simply not possible to assault it.
I could not declare war on the EU even though we had rivalry and I ran the mission (National Policy) I could not declare war.
The EU armies tried but fled, and Lisbon region became an Alien Nation.
Okey Dokey - just attack that then, but no. Not possible.
I even tried to declare a war on them, but there was simply no option to do so under any faction, including 'Unaligned'.
The EU was under control of The Academy, but not the Alien Nation (obs) and I could neither invade Lisbon with my massed forces and neither could I nuke it - 'no valid target' was the message that kept appearing.

If there was a hidden way to declare war then I certainly could not find it, no matter where I looked, and it strikes me as a bit weird having to declare a war against an invading army, given they have already declared open hostilities at this point (Late 2034 game time) which seemed early to me hence why I am asking if there is something I have missed?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved as this is a dead game now and I have no idea what I did wrong or why I could not assault the invaders.
It's time to start again - but will wait until I see version 0.4 now as the Research Campus has been dramatically nerfed I see, and that alone would have caused my extinction because the sheer number of research Campus I had built will immediately tip me from barely held hate from the Xenos into open hostility & I had not built fleets to defend myself as it is so early in the game.....I thought I had more time!
cesar.malari

Re: How do I assault an Alien Landing?

Post by cesar.malari »

re: declare war - check that you don't have any mutual allies (ie. if you're the US and no alliances have been broken yet, there's probably a lot - UK, Australia, Japan, etc.)

re: "no valid target" - I'm guessing you can only nuke your own country and those you're at war with. (though maybe you're allowed to target enemy armies in allied countries? I never tried)
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

cesar.malari wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:59 pm re: declare war - check that you don't have any mutual allies (ie. if you're the US and no alliances have been broken yet, there's probably a lot - UK, Australia, Japan, etc.)

re: "no valid target" - I'm guessing you can only nuke your own country and those you're at war with. (though maybe you're allowed to target enemy armies in allied countries? I never tried)
I'll check, but IIRC I have broken all alliances with Servants/Protectorate & unaligned nations, plus as soon as the Xenos landed in Portugal I went from 'Normal' straight to 'Rival', but still cannot declare a war.
The remains of the EU armies have fled, Xenos invading Spain now & still I cannot declare war on the 'Alien Nation' as it is called, I cannot Nuke them, yet I was able to do an orbital Bombard (not effective as the ship doing this was designed to take Servants/Protectorate Habs & Orbitals.
I find it extremely odd that I cannot nuke the bastards, or even declare a war on them or invade/attack with my armies (which are ready & waiting but seemingly impotent to actually DO anything).
I've obviously missed something important but for the life of me I have no idea quite what it might be.
I think that this play through is close to a defeat - but I need to understand what I did wrong that stops me attacking the menace of the Xenos.
cesar.malari

Post by cesar.malari »

One other thing re: declare-war - once you've declared them a rival, select your nation and hover over the target's flag in the rivals section - it'll show the prereqs for war and normal relations - I'm guessing one of those will be "FAIL".