Late Game Tedium

anonusername

Late Game Tedium

Post by anonusername »

I have found the early game to be very engaging, and the space RTS in the later game is also quite funny. Unfortunately, the late game requires me to pause my space activities twice a month to engage in councilor busy-work. (Occasionally, I will attempt to grab a new country, but at this stage I am mostly just protecting my existing nations and sabotaging other factions.) I think that after 10-15 years the rate of missions should slow down to 1 per month. I am testing this in my next playthrough via a dll mod, and will report back on how it goes.

Related to the above, it would be nice if the repeatChange field in TITimeEventTemplate took an array of changes instead of only 1. This would allow for mods to define additional frequency updates. Currently I am using the below with an edited dll. (Not actually an array because editing the dll this way was easier.)

Code: Select all

[
	{
		"dataName": "CouncilorMissionUpdate",
		"displayName": "Councilor Mission Update",
		"eventType": "WeekToMonth",
		"eventName": "CouncilorMissionUpdate",
		"blocking": false,
		"pauseTime": true,
		"repeatChange": {
		    "triggerCondition": {
				"$type": "TIGlobalCondition_fCampaignDuration_years",
				"strIdx": "",
				"sign": "GreaterThan",
				"strValue": "0.325"
			},
			"updateEventType": "Semimonthly",
		   "triggerCondition2": {
				"$type": "TIGlobalCondition_fCampaignDuration_years",
				"strIdx": "",
				"sign": "GreaterThan",
				"strValue": "10"
			},
			"updateEventType2": "Month"
		},
	}
]
DarthVicious

Re: Late Game Tedium

Post by DarthVicious »

The only jarring thing for me is the radical stop every two weeks, with the auto zoom to councillor, regardless whether you're busy designing ships or browsing the tech tree.

I would be fine if the game just paused and didnt interrupt what you were doing. The game speed indicator could just flash and when you clicked it you would be taken to the mission assignment screen.
Richard Baxton held off four waves of mind worms. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character. People need heroes. They don't need to know he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

Sorry but reducing mission phases to once a month would just not work for me at all.
When you have a heap of places & orbitals to defend against hostiles or when you need to go kill off opposition councillors, a monthly option really isn't nearly often enough - especially with orbitals as each defend mission takes 2 cycles (transfer, defend, transfer, defend) and by the start of 2030 I usually have ten or more orbitals and that is one councillor pretty much tied up looking after those alone.
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

If you have 1 phase a month, so do the enemy councilors. You would still be doing the same routine, just at half the frequency.

As for Defend Interests, it could be modified to scale the duration based on the phase length, like unrest and stabilize missions already do. I assumed this was already the case, but it is an easy change to make.
YoelRomero

Post by YoelRomero »

Considering the most popular mod for this game is an option to "Defend All Interests" I believe the devs should look into it.
Especially since there is factions that rely less on Earth, such as Project Exodus (which i exclusively play, I dunno why, I like em)
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

I have been playing a game with 1 month turns starting in 2033, with defend interests scaling to compensate. Overall, the reduced turn frequency does help substantially with shifting the focus to the space game. The adjusted (to 1 year after the first slowdown, and 2 years after the second) DI action has worked out quite well, as have the already self-adjusting public campaign and unrest missions. Counter-agent actions take place at a slower rate, but this is manageable due to the equally slowed progression of enemy actions. However, it is somewhat limiting for other agent-focused actions (such as inspire) which still don't scale. The biggest issues have been agent-nation interactions which have no obvious avenue for scaling.
1. Crackdown/purge progress at 1/2 the speed.
2. Diplomatic actions such as declaring or ending wars only take place once a month, and require twice the relative number of agent actions. This places a limit on other agent priorities because of the need to carry out diplomatic actions. It is a particular problem with alien landings, declaring war on their landing site before they conquer it is now usually impractical, if not entirely impossible.
3. Assaulting alien assets such as facilities or xenoflora takes twice the relative number of agent actions. In concert with the other increased demands on relative action potential, this makes it much harder to control xenoflora globally with agents. I don't view this as entirely negative, as it gives a stronger incentive to soften xenoflora with armies before sending in the agents to finish it off.