Anyone else stealing projects that don't appear for use?

neilwilkes

Anyone else stealing projects that don't appear for use?

Post by neilwilkes »

Already filed a proper bug report on this one, but thought I would see if anyone else has also noticed this.
Build 0.3.39
I stole 'Solar Arrays' from The Protectorate, but the array was simply not available to build in orbit so I assumed this was because the Tier 2 hab hub had not yet completed. However, once it had the array was still not available so I checked the research tree & sure enough it told me I had not yet researched Solar Arrays (although I repeat I had burgled them)

Has anyone else noticed stolen stuff not being available?
Attachments
Solar Array not available.jpg
Solar Array not available.jpg (302.73 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
I stole this 2 cycles back.jpg
I stole this 2 cycles back.jpg (353.84 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
PAwleus

Re: Anyone else stealing projects that don't appear for use?

Post by PAwleus »

Stealing it only means the project is available for you to research - this is not a bug.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

PAwleus wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:11 pm Stealing it only means the project is available for you to research - this is not a bug.
I see.
Info much appreciated - this really could be made clearer though, as the mission is 'Steal Project' and it is not the same thing as 'make this available for research' by a long, long way & If this is the case, how does it work if I trade a project? Do they get the project filled or do they also have to research it?
PAwleus

Post by PAwleus »

They also have to research it - no matter if it's acquired by stealing or by trade, AFAIK.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

Okey Dokey - if that is how it works then that is how it works.
Can we please rename the mission then, as 'steal project' should mean just that, and not just steal a reference to it.
PAwleus

Post by PAwleus »

Perhaps it would be better if you imagine what you do when stealing it. These are engineering projects - just consider stealing Gibraltar Crossing and you should see it. Project means in this context plans for doing an engineering undertaking. By stealing/unlocking you acquire plans, by researching you implement them.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

PAwleus wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:02 am Perhaps it would be better if you imagine what you do when stealing it. These are engineering projects - just consider stealing Gibraltar Crossing and you should see it. Project means in this context plans for doing an engineering undertaking. By stealing/unlocking you acquire plans, by researching you implement them.
Not always.
I have also 'stolen' tech research (2nd level Small Fission reactors, Solar Streamers etc) and would expect that I stole the actual plans, not just a reference to them.
When it comes to projects similar to the one you mentioned (and that would also include all the similar ones, like Greater United States and whatnot) then I am in total agreement - but with those I thought it was only possible for one faction to research them - and then ( at least or so I assume) everyone gets access to them. Or do they?

So much still to learn here - hence all the (silly?) questions from me.
This is one deep, deep game & my biggest hope moving forwards is that it is not dumbed down in any way whatsoever - it's great being complicated with many options for similar things
PAwleus

Post by PAwleus »

neilwilkes wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:30 pm [...}I have also 'stolen' tech research (2nd level Small Fission reactors, Solar Streamers etc) and would expect that I stole the actual plans, not just a reference to them.[...]
This is exactly where your problem is: you haven't stolen any tech research (unless your opponent has more research points than you) - you have stolen an engineering PROJECT, meaning actual general plans for implementing an engineering undertaking. Researching a project simulates all work/research needed for its implementation in all minute details that lead to a stage that is outside of a prototyping stage.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

Okay, I can accept this easily enough but please will you rename the mission?
I have not really stolen anything at all - even plans - if all that happens is that a new item becomes available for me to research.
Can you not see how this is confusing?