[MOD IDEA] What if there were no Alien?

pestig

[MOD IDEA] What if there were no Alien?

Post by pestig »

I really enjoy the game, both the on Earth and the relativistic space layer - including the lot of alternatives in the tech tree. I also love some more obscure simulation aspect like the global warming.

Only thing I really dislike are the Aliens: their presence really removes/changes importance of most other aspect of the game, and even when I play as some more neutral faction I tend to start playing a resistance type of game. Also their tech level + retaliation mechanic really makes most of the tech-tree redundant: Simply there is no need to build ships in the period between one is downed and you are ready for total war.

That made me think how the game would look without Aliens? Or If turned out the initial aliens were the last one for a while since the space is relativistic and they had no mysterious wormhole, nor did they think of establishing bases in the Solar system.

That made me start thinking about a total conversion mod where Aliens are just not that important:

What could be the factions there? In light of current food+art incidents environmentalism could definitely be one dimension. Maybe something along benefits for masses vs select few. But in general they should focus on what humanity should do with the Solar system, and how would our species evolve as it colonises the solar system.

Initiative could stay as it is - exploit riches.
Similarly Exodus can stay - one Solar system is not enough.
2 faction (Servant + Protectorate) - could be green factions one with focus on leave space untouched, another with use resources to space to revert Earth to its original paradise state.
2 faction (Humanity first + resistance) - could focus on riches of the masses one with reducing inequality focus, other with belief in trickle down effect.
And Academy could be academy, generic research focus. Or current establishment. Or maybe repurposed to a Terraform planets faction?

For the various faction end goals could start include metrics like CO2 level, global GDP, average global inequality, space population exceeds % of earth, etc.
neilwilkes

Re: [MOD IDEA] What if there were no Alien?

Post by neilwilkes »

No Aliens would make this boring, with nothing new on the table.
Don't even get me started on the CO2 bullshit either
DarthVicious

Re: [MOD IDEA] What if there were no Alien?

Post by DarthVicious »

How about a full Expanse mod?

Factions:
- Earth First (extremist) .. exploit the solar system to the max for the benefit of Earthers.
- The UN (not so extremist) .... everyone should just get along, but the UN is in charge.
- The OPA (extremists) .. Keel all Inners!!!!
- The Belters (not so extremist) ... Just want to be left alone.
- The Martians ... want to terraform Mars.
- The Corporates ... Have interests in all areas, and just want to make a buck.
- The Academics ... self evident (Ganymede farms, outer planet research bases, solar observation bases)

Oh wait, there are aliens in the expanse too.
Richard Baxton held off four waves of mind worms. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character. People need heroes. They don't need to know he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy.