Crew transportation across Solar system - missing in the game

AdamPodstavka

Crew transportation across Solar system - missing in the game

Post by AdamPodstavka »

Hi all, I'd really like to hear developers take on this - as I am sure they must've had some heated discussion on the topic.

Why is modules crew transportation across the Solar system not represented in the game?

The game simulates travel across solar system to detail, based on science. It has material transfer figured out and explained. Complex ship trajectories. Gravity Effects. It has research for humans to sustain low gravity. All about the space economy in the game indicates that it is intended to include human workers space transportation. But it ignores that in current version [0.3.29].

Now you can build everything in space and, apart from initial Outpost or Platform core in the planetary system, you don't need to send anything from Earth, you can build it quickly on-site and don't have to wait until the modules are manned by crew arriving from Earth (of from anywhere where they'd reside, or be stored frozen).

There are many good ideas how to represent it in a reddit discussion.
But I wanted to hear first from devs, whether this is something planned to be implemented soon, or if this was willingly left out of the game and why.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Crew transportation across Solar system - missing in the game

Post by johnnylump »

Lest I seem unresponsive, I responded to your post about this on Discord.
AdamPodstavka

Post by AdamPodstavka »

Thank you Johny, so I followed up there, just if somebody stumbles across it here, I copy your response:

"- You actually pay more for catapults the further out they are in the Solar System. This represents the increased muzzle velocity required to contribute to the nebulous and abstracted logistics network you've built.

- On crew -- yes, it's simplified and abstracted. Your first appearance in a region of space requires you going the slow route (either via probe+Earth rocket or a colony ship). We assume that sets up personnel transfers to that region in a just-in-time fashion.

Without these things, I don't think the Solar System beyond the Belt would be feasible to build anything in in the timeframe of the game, unless we set up point-to-point logistics. And I don't think people would find that fun and it would stress the CPU quite a bit."
DarthVicious

Post by DarthVicious »

Personally not too bothered by this as I feel it is being abstracted into mission control. Given that every base requires MC.

If anything, MC could be tied to distance, so a base in Jovian system would cost more MC than a base in the asteroids or Martian planetary system.

Alternately MC itself could have diminishing returns of some sort, like each level being more expensive to get.
Richard Baxton held off four waves of mind worms. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character. People need heroes. They don't need to know he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy.