[Feature/Balance suggestion] Make Protect Interests apply to currently defended nodes

ecpgieicg

[Feature/Balance suggestion] Make Protect Interests apply to currently defended nodes

Post by ecpgieicg »

I want to suggest to the devs that Protect Interests should apply to currently defended nodes. As of now, they do not. And they make Defend Interests for the same nation staggered.

Into mid-late game, there are not as many control points around but lots of spare control capacity across the different factions, making it highly likely for player to lose defended control points from time to time. After those control points are regained -- sometimes it can be a necessary part of the player's unification plans, the expiry of their Defended status will be staggered from the rest of the control points in the same nations. And the resultant staggered Defend Interests moves really degrade the experience with the game. Hence the suggestion.
Dartanis

Re: [Feature/Balance suggestion] Make Protect Interests apply to currently defended nodes

Post by Dartanis »

That does significantly increase "pointless micromanagement" so I would agree that something needs to be done. My suggestion is the following:
If you do defend interests in a nation and defend intersts has a valid undefended target, it also replaces the timer of any other control points in that nation with the new one.
This would maintain the design that control interests wears off for atleast 1 turn every now and then and prevent you from just reapplying defend intersts before it wears off, without massively increasing micromanagement when you lose singular control points in the mid to late game and end up staggering you defend interests over several different timings per nation.
Vengarr

Re: [Feature/Balance suggestion] Make Protect Interests apply to currently defended nodes

Post by Vengarr »

Make a separate mission from “Defend Interest” (Call it “Entrench Interests”), which gives a permanent +10 bonus as long as you hold the CP, but requires Ops as upkeep—like you’re stationing a kind of secret service or Majestic-12 to protect against covert attacks. The more CP value, the more Ops you need. Trading Ops in exchange for Councilor action economy is a decent trade off and would make Ops more relevant after early game, without removing the dangers from overreaching and trying to control too many nations.

I’ve got thousands of Ops right now and no idea what to do with them.