Playing Newer Terra Invicta Builds on Steam

johnnylump
Site Admin

Playing Newer Terra Invicta Builds on Steam

Post by johnnylump »

We have four branches available on Steam. These will usually contain different versions of Terra Invicta as we fix the game, add features, and adjust balance. The branches are:

NONE / DEFAULT: This the "main" branch that everyone starts with when they download the game. It has (hopefully) gone through enough testing that it doesn't introduce any horrible new bugs to the game. (For GoG customers, this is the only branch available.)

The remaining branches all require you to opt in via Steam:

BETA-RELEASE: If this build is newer version of the game than what's on the default branch, it is a candidate build for the default branch that we want to see more feedback on so we're comfortable it's as least as stable as what's on default. It will usually be newer than NONE/DEFAULT but older than VALIDATION-RELEASE.

VALIDATION-RELEASE: This is the newest build. If it is different from BETA and DEFAULT, it is the most likely to have new instabilities as it has undergone the least amount of testing. It also has the latest bugfixes and feature updates. If you get stuck on a campaign due to a bug, it may be worth it to switch to this branch to see if the bug is resolved.

BETA-RELEASE and VALIDATION-RELEASE at times will be the same as NONE/DEFAULT, particularly right after we updated the default branch.

ROLLBACK: This is the prior version of the game that was on the default branch before we updated it. This is there in case some terrible new bug made it to the default branch and the devs are all asleep. In the rare case we have to break saves or make massive balance changes to patch the game, this will let also you continue your campaign on the older version. (Eventually it will get overwritten; if we get to a point where we are breaking a lot of campaigns in a particular update, we'll add a new branch so the old version lingers for quite some time.)

To access these branches in Steam:
1) Right-click the name of the game in your library.
2) Select "Properties."
3) Select "Betas."
4) Select which branch you want to play in the dropdown. None of these branches need a beta access code, so you can leave that field blank. The game should download and update immediately.

We post which branches link to which versions on our Discord. We post patch notes both here (viewforum.php?f=26) and on Discord. When patches go to the default branch, the notes also get posted as an update on the Steam community forums.

Note that if a patch is brand new, you may have to restart Steam for it to show up immediately.
neilwilkes

Re: Playing Newer Terra Invicta Builds on Steam

Post by neilwilkes »

Well thank you - I have just signed myself up for the beta options and sincerely hope that just one day a week is sufficient to be of any use.
If that's just not enough please let me know I I will back out, no harm done.
frostyplanet

Post by frostyplanet »

Current stream build runs on Linux version of stream using Proton, need this setting to run.
Right-click the game in library -> General -> lauch option, add:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
(it took me some time to figure that out).
frostyplanet

Post by frostyplanet »

Is it guarantee that the save file compatiblity with upgraded game version?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

We plan to increment the second version number (currently the ".3" in 0.3.49) if save games lose compatibility. Failing that, we'll put a warning in the patch notes. Note that this doesn't apply to balance changes -- if the cost of something changes when you move to a newer build, you'll have to live with it.
neilwilkes

Post by neilwilkes »

johnnylump wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:34 am We plan to increment the second version number (currently the ".3" in 0.3.49) if save games lose compatibility. Failing that, we'll put a warning in the patch notes. Note that this doesn't apply to balance changes -- if the cost of something changes when you move to a newer build, you'll have to live with it.
As we have with Research Campus etc.
C'est la vie.