Ship guide?

MrMofo

Ship guide?

Post by MrMofo »

I want to love this game. I really do. I’ve sunk like 25 hours in a binge into it but I’ve finally gotten to a point that I’m totally stumped. Is there a guide to ship design? Because it takes 40 years for the auto completed ships to go from the moon to earth :/

The ion drives seem completely useless and any other drive leads to a yellow highlight where there isn’t enough delta V…

Any help anywhere?
Alitari

Re: Ship guide?

Post by Alitari »

For most drives you have to have at least 10 Propellant Tanks, often considerably more, to bring the Delta V up to at least 5 (ideally 10 for anything outside of the Earth-Moon system).

I'm at 2032, and the basic Autodesign for a Gunship Transport gives me 31 Propellant tanks on a x6 VASIMR Drive ... I have about 162.4 kps Delta-V. Of my 4635 ton ship, 3100 is propellant mass. Perhaps you could post what your Autodesign is giving you WRT tanks and Drive?
tstein

Post by tstein »

The game is hard sci fi So spaec travel is realistic. It will for most ships take days to reach moon and YEARS to reach the Jovian system.
Anteep

Post by Anteep »

40 years is pretty awful tbh. I made some basic ships that take about a week or 2 to travel.

You should design ships based around where they're gonna be operating, too. A defence fleet at Earth doesn't need to travel to Mars, or Jupiter, thus you don't need to waste tonnage on extra propellent or long range drives.
larkvi

Post by larkvi »

MrMofo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:22 pm The ion drives seem completely useless and any other drive leads to a yellow highlight where there isn’t enough delta V…
There are a selection of extremely low power drives in the game, including the ion drive and the hall drive, that don't seem to have any discernible utility in the current version of the game, so far as I can tell (they would be useful if we designed probes, which we don't). Nervas and Dumbo, which are at similar tech level, can go to the moon (though I am not sure what the utility of a ship which can go to the moon is. With these early drives, I just have a pure LEO defense fleet, and even then, we can only take battles when the AI wants them, since the alien ships have 50x more dV).