Coups Biggest Concern So Far (Unsure if Bug)

blarglol

Coups Biggest Concern So Far (Unsure if Bug)

Post by blarglol »

So I have been playing as the Resistance (not tutorial) on Normal difficulty. I had enough control points to get some decent boost, and operate a moon base and space station. The simulation has gotten to the point where there were very few unclaimed nations left (you could see them all on one list without scrolling) and both China and the USA were totally unclaimed.

Public opinion had been seesawing in America for awhile, and I thought at some point I might have a chance to get the first CP and get the ball rolling there. Then, in one turn, the blank USA, where no one has a CP, suddenly has a coup!

Now, I thought coups were used to depose a government in which another faction(s) had claimed CPs. I didn't know it could be used to wipe a normal government and install factions to CPs. Also, I didn't know multiple factions could install their people at the same time in a single event...this seems odd to me. The weirdest part is how the factions were installed (I will try and attach a picture below):

https://imgur.com/a/VF1oEFl

So as one can (hopefully) see, 4 different factions split the CPs, and not in any discernible order that I can detect. The Initiative got the lion's share with half, despite having what appears to be the lowest (or tied for lowest) popular support in the nation. The Protectorate got one, Project Exodus one, and The Servants one, except they got the White House and can control foreign policy.

How was this determined? If anything, it would make more sense for Exodus to get executive control, with the largest public support in a violent coup. Then the others should be considered in decreasing order based on their respective backing, so in this case: Protectorate, Servants, Initiative. Instead the Initiative has the most, and the 2nd least-supported group that was involved gets the executive!??

This development baffles me and feels unexplained and very sudden and forced. Up until now the USA was open and a potential playground, and suddenly it appears very untransparently in hands of multiple rivals. I feel like I had little agency in this, and what should have been a gradual takeover was very abrupt and jarring.

So my questions are:
- Is this coup a bug?
- If not, how are CPs be divided up?
- If not, how can factions work together on a coup?
Last edited by blarglol on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Biggest Concern So Far (Unsure if Bug)

Post by johnnylump »

Coups grant CPs to the couping faction and possibly factions that previously contributed to unrest (representing allies in anti-government forces).
blarglol

Re: Biggest Concern So Far (Unsure if Bug)

Post by blarglol »

johnnylump wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:29 pm Coups grant CPs to the couping faction and possibly factions that previously contributed to unrest (representing allies in anti-government forces).
So which of these is the couping faction? So the mechanic is if the unrest councilor activity is used by a nation, then they might get a CP if another faction stages a coup that they aren't even aware was happening?

To further clarify, it appeared that coups earlier on, perhaps earlier patches, simply reset the CPs so that no-faction controlled them. In other words, they were blank. Was this intended? Because now it seems every time a coup is staged, a random assortment of factions get the CPs in the given nation. This was not transparent to me, especially given how coups made the CPs blank before..
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Coups Biggest Concern So Far (Unsure if Bug)

Post by johnnylump »

Coups can happen organically with a mix of high unrest and unhappy elites, or by councilor action.

If factions have a history of causing unrest in the nation, they are recorded as part of the opposition in the country and can be awarded control points when a coup or revolution happens. This history gets reset when the government is overthrown.

So empty CPs can happen because no faction is sufficiently involved causing unrest, or certain factions have only done a little.
blarglol

Re: Coups Biggest Concern So Far (Unsure if Bug)

Post by blarglol »

johnnylump wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:21 pm Coups can happen organically with a mix of high unrest and unhappy elites, or by councilor action.

If factions have a history of causing unrest in the nation, they are recorded as part of the opposition in the country and can be awarded control points when a coup or revolution happens. This history gets reset when the government is overthrown.

So empty CPs can happen because no faction is sufficiently involved causing unrest, or certain factions have only done a little.
Ah, so there are two distinct paths for coups. That makes more sense.
Any unrest caused by a faction is cumulative, got it.
Empty CPs = organic revolt or else factions haven't reached unrest threshold to qualify for a point