Ships keeps defecting to the Protectorate

Anteep

Ships keeps defecting to the Protectorate

Post by Anteep »

For some reason, my ships keep defecting. It's only a matter of time before a new ship fresh out of the shipyard defects to the Protectorate, and I have no idea why.

Any tips you can offer? I am playing as the Resistance.

Alitari

Re: Ships keeps defecting to the Protectorate

Post by Alitari »

What I suspect is happening is that that particular opponent (in this case the Protectorate) has a guy on orbit who is using the Control Space Asset mission (I think that's what it's called). It's a relatively rare? mission ability and it can be used against other assets like space stations or bases.

I think it's a bit of an odd ability, as I believe someone else pointed out elsewhere, that someone who isn't on your faction can slip? onto one of your ships or into one of your habs and take the whole place over. I can see the logic in taking over control nodes on planet, as they must be, by their nature, far more porous to outsiders who could get their own people in place ... but a space ship would be harder to get on than a submarine. The only explanation that makes sense is that your crews are susceptible to coercion, even though you likely have to hand pick them ... imagine someone trying to take over a submarine while it's at sea by chatting with its radio operator and convincing enough of the crew to throw off their allegiances ... that's a hard sell for me.
The Boz

Post by The Boz »

What?
This is actually insane...
Anteep

Post by Anteep »

Alitari wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:46 am What I suspect is happening is that that particular opponent (in this case the Protectorate) has a guy on orbit who is using the Control Space Asset mission (I think that's what it's called). It's a relatively rare? mission ability and it can be used against other assets like space stations or bases.

I think it's a bit of an odd ability, as I believe someone else pointed out elsewhere, that someone who isn't on your faction can slip? onto one of your ships or into one of your habs and take the whole place over. I can see the logic in taking over control nodes on planet, as they must be, by their nature, far more porous to outsiders who could get their own people in place ... but a space ship would be harder to get on than a submarine. The only explanation that makes sense is that your crews are susceptible to coercion, even though you likely have to hand pick them ... imagine someone trying to take over a submarine while it's at sea by chatting with its radio operator and convincing enough of the crew to throw off their allegiances ... that's a hard sell for me.

Yeah I think so. It seems like they were doing this continuously until they were hitting their MC cap. It is rather annoying to defend against... councillor needs to go into orbit.... defend interest or investigate... surveill... detain/assassinate enemy assuming they haven't moved elsewhere. This is just multiplied to extreme scales when you have 10s or 100s of stations.
Alitari

Post by Alitari »

I just had a station yanked from under me by by the Servants ... and while I get a popup that says that my now on orbit 'councilor cannot undertake this mission ... may be invalidated for many reasons, including:' ... but it doesn't say exactly why or which of these many reasons. I suspect that it would push me past my MC level (even though I'm already past my MC level, 75/74).

Further it's an overall inconvenient action to undertake. Unlike on Earth, on orbit you have to Orbit or Transfer to the specific station, and only then can you attempt the Control Space Asset ... go to the wrong station and you'll have to wait until the next cycle. It makes sense if you had to travel to a different system (Earth/Moon vs. Mars vs. Mercury) but within a system, once on orbit (already costing an action), a councilor should be able to shift to another location.

And as noted, using the Defend Interest action on orbit protects only a single asset, not every station in that system, unlike the multiple control nodes of the major nations ... and it creates an obvious single point of failure vs. the multiple points of failure for a Terrestrial target.
tstein

Post by tstein »

I think that might be related to space power. In my game, I keep receiving defectors from other factions. I am behind in world domination and resources, but since I got a jump ahead in weapons, I have been wreckign havoc in other fleets. I have more ships than all the other factions combined.
marco.costa

Post by marco.costa »

Alitari wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:12 pmFurther it's an overall inconvenient action to undertake. Unlike on Earth, on orbit you have to Orbit or Transfer to the specific station, and only then can you attempt the Control Space Asset ... go to the wrong station and you'll have to wait until the next cycle. It makes sense if you had to travel to a different system (Earth/Moon vs. Mars vs. Mercury) but within a system, once on orbit (already costing an action), a councilor should be able to shift to another location.
Actually I think it would be a good change to treat stations on interface orbits like countries once boost income has gone past a certain point, i.e. flights to orbit are now common enough to ensure your councillors can hop on them as a bureaucrat can take an official plane and go somewhere.
Anteep

Post by Anteep »

marco.costa wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:07 pm
Alitari wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:12 pmFurther it's an overall inconvenient action to undertake. Unlike on Earth, on orbit you have to Orbit or Transfer to the specific station, and only then can you attempt the Control Space Asset ... go to the wrong station and you'll have to wait until the next cycle. It makes sense if you had to travel to a different system (Earth/Moon vs. Mars vs. Mercury) but within a system, once on orbit (already costing an action), a councilor should be able to shift to another location.
Actually I think it would be a good change to treat stations on interface orbits like countries once boost income has gone past a certain point, i.e. flights to orbit are now common enough to ensure your councillors can hop on them as a bureaucrat can take an official plane and go somewhere.
Yes, i've resorted to placing my main shipyard at Sun-Earth L1 to prevent any councillor interference with my ship or shipyard bc they can't perform any missions there.
larkvi

Post by larkvi »

marco.costa wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:07 pm Actually I think it would be a good change to treat stations on interface orbits like countries once boost income has gone past a certain point, i.e. flights to orbit are now common enough to ensure your councillors can hop on them as a bureaucrat can take an official plane and go somewhere.
Agreed. It is really annoying to have to deal with the hassle of popping up to space and transferring in order to protect my stations. In fact, the payoff is so much higher for stealing them than it is for protecting them. In one case you get a finished station and intel, in the other you just lose your guy for way too long to justify. It does not feel balanced like it does with countries (I can protect my interests in the whole USNA in one action, but to keep a shipyard safe takes three?)
tstein

Post by tstein »

I faced this problem last game and made me stop playing the game (will not restart until a patch comes because the start of the game is too boring ), I was loving the mid game, but this made it unplayable.

I had 17 of my ships stolen in less than 1 year by the same faction. I think there is a mechanic that gives bonus for these actions for factions with very little CP. The initiative that is basically dead in game keep stealing every ship I produce. Not a single one completes 2 months of service before it is stolen. They steal the ship and throw them away into something stupid.

This is game breaking and I am stopping to test this game until this issue is resolved because it already killed 2 games for me

I can handle aliens, I can handle nuclear winter, but I cannot handle the stupidity of the HR of my group not being able to hire captains with a minimum of decency! For each asset you have stolen, yous should receive a BONUS to resist such attempts.