My 2 cents on first hours of gameplay (and beyond)

marco.costa

My 2 cents on first hours of gameplay (and beyond)

Post by marco.costa »

So! Exciting stuff! Congratulations to Pavonis on what you have so far, it's certainly the biggest scale and most ambitious grand strategy game I've played.

I usually frown at early access, but I have played so much Long War 1 and 2 that we're going with Shut Up And Take My Money for this one.

So, since I'm playtesting, I might as well offer some constructive feedback!

A nit that has been bugging me now that I'm past the tutorial and restarting often to see how the early game of different factions plays out, is the Objectives window and its associated popups. They can get a bit intrusive and act like a tutorial you can't turn off.

Perhaps it would be best to collapse those objectives into the Codex and just silence them? Or have this as an option alongside 'Enable tutorial'.

For an extreme example of this, see No Man's Sky: one of its strongest points is this 'free to go wherever, do whatever and chill' gameloop, but they added this 'objectives' system which is basically a forced tutorial that goes waaay beyond teaching you the basics, and pretty much hobbles that very free ranging gameplay value proposition.

I also assume that once the game is reasonably stable and free of game breaking bugs, an Ironman mode will be included. :)
Alitari

Re: My 2 cents on first hours of gameplay (and beyond)

Post by Alitari »

marco.costa wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:30 pmA nit that has been bugging me now that I'm past the tutorial and restarting often to see how the early game of different factions plays out, is the Objectives window and its associated popups. They can get a bit intrusive and act like a tutorial you can't turn off.
I think a part of my turn off for the Objectives is that there doesn't seem to be a clear explaination as to what benefit one gets if one completes them. Are we advancing the story? Will we get a reward of some sort (Money, Influence, Ops, unique tech for our faction)? Are they just suggestions or are they mandatory?