Any implementation of airpower?

Sleepless_Six

Any implementation of airpower?

Post by Sleepless_Six »

As in in atmosphere. I suppose it would have somewhat limited impact but destroying and degrading infrastructure is what airpower is great at. Any chances of adding Air Forces?
ImpalerWrG

Re: Any implementation of airpower?

Post by ImpalerWrG »

I was also struck by the lack of airpower, and bit by how Navies are attatched to armies. I certainly think we could see a significant change in warfare by their inclusion. I could see multiple ways to approatch this.

1) Air as another attatchment to Army which allow an army to make a kind of ranged attack either hitting another army or the infastructure of a region. Another army with it's own airforce will defend much better, but even a regular army will cause attrition to an attacking airforce, moderate if it attacks infastructure and heavy if it attacks the army directly.

2 ) Airforces as seperate entities, this would be my preferance, these airforces can relocate fast around the world but need to go to a region with an ecnomic core to operate from or they take a 1/2 penalty to range and compat power. Their strike range from the core is dictated by mil tech level plus other specific tech multipliers (aka engine technology). Similar rules for engagement with ground armies.

Recomended Airforces at start of game

US - 6
Russia, China, India - 2
UK, France, Italy, ROK, Japan, Isreal, Australia, Turkey, Brazil, SaudiArabia, Egypt, Pakistan, Canada - 1

Adjust US army count down to 4 or less to balace (still a big net to it's power ofcourse)
Alitari

Post by Alitari »

Between your councilors? having a special ability to attack alien growths (a fast but 'expensive' (it doesn't cost anything but something from the 'action economy' of having one action per councilor and a limited number of councilors) method that can have widely ranging success rates) ... and sending in an army (a slow choice if it's not in one's own territory, is limited to territories you have access to, the nations you control may not have armies, but a significantly more reliable success rate) ... there seems to be a 'missing middle', which could be filled with airforces.

Either clandestine air drops of special forces (which could be what was intended by councilor's orgs like Seal Team Six) or stealth bomber attacks seem to fit into that category. And airforces would be a logical response to the kaiju instead of sending in tanks and such.

But they (airforces) would be another item to have to manage (along with non-attached navies).
thekingsraven

Post by thekingsraven »

ImpalerWrG wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:10 pm US - 6
Russia, China, India - 2
UK, France, Italy, ROK, Japan, Isreal, Australia, Turkey, Brazil, SaudiArabia, Egypt, Pakistan, Canada - 1
Given recent events, I'd put both Russia and Ukraine on one.

---------

Anyway. I echo ImpalerWrG's suggestion 2, since it would allow airforces to be expanded onto aircraft carriers when navies are added for the cold war scenario and you can't really do modern navies without aircraft carriers.