Some fixes if you're having trouble running Terra Invicta

johnnylump
Site Admin

Some fixes if you're having trouble running Terra Invicta

Post by johnnylump »

1) ERROR DURING CAMPAIGN LAUNCH (after hitting "New Game") Nvidia users (especially GTX 1050 and 1060) should update their drivers. Fixes a reported crash in campaign start. NOTE: Windows lies about your drivers being up to date. Use Nvidia tools to check.

We have also had one report of someone fixing this by removing overclocking from their CPU.

We have had one report of someone fixing this by underclocking their CPU by 2% (a sign of a small instability in the processor).

2) CRASH DURING GAMEPLAY WHEN SAVING GAME (including automatic saving on councilor turn start): If your My Documents folder is using OneDrive, DropBox, or Google Drive as a backup service, you may see I/O errors as the game tries to access or save data there and gets rejected. Try some or all of the following (in this order)

* Make sure you are logged into the service
* DROPBOX: Make sure the folder is not set to Cloud only and if so change the settings (offline copy only) and restart your machine if you made a change.
* Configure the service to make the My Documents\My Games\TerraInvicta folder available offline or not managed by the service. This may be "disabling syncing" or "disabling backup" for the folder. Restart your machine if you made a change.
* Run TI in admin mode
* Turn off compressed saves in the game's options menu.
* Make sure the My Documents\My Games\TerraInvicta folder is not set to read-only in Windows.
* Update your service to the latest stable build and restart your machine.

We've had one report of someone only getting it working if they disable the service entirely on My Documents, which is of course shouldn't be something you have to do. We are working on an ingame warning for this issue instead of a crash, and we are attempting to investigate this further.

If using Windows 11, make sure your save file path is not in a protected folder. We have had one report that Documents\My Games\TerraInvicta\Saves\ required unblocking by a user.

3) CRASH DURING GAME STARTUP (after the logo screens but before the start screen appears), we've seen a few causes:

a) We've seen three cases of I/O errors in the logs that were resolved by deleting My Documents\MyGames\TerraInvicta\PlayerOptions.TIProfile and letting the game regenerate the file.

b) We've seen multiple cases of audio issues causing this. Make sure you have some kind of audio output device enabled in Windows, and that you have disabled "exclusive mode" for that device in its Properties (Advanced tab). Audio studio software in particular sometimes takes exclusive control of the device.

c) We also had a user report that updating Realtek audio drivers on a Windows 11 machine fixed a similar crash.

d) Ensure the game created the steamapps\common\Terra Invicta\Mods\Enabled folder path. Seen one instance of Mods\ and Mods\Enabled not existing; if they don't you can add them (as empty folders) yourself.

e) If you are using Unity Mod Manager to add some mods that change the game's code, and you can't launch after an update, you will need to run Unity Mod Manager and use the "Install" option again under the game's tab. Game updates may change the assembly file and the mods will cause crashes at that point.

4) CORSAIR STUFF DOESN'T LIGHT UP

* Update your iCue drivers to the latest.

5) CRASH AFTER OFFICIAL PATCH WHEN LOADING OLD SAVE AND USING MODS

* If you are using mods that affect the game's json files and an official patch updates those files, you will likely see crashes when loading the game. We're working on seamless handling of this, but in the meantime you should uninstall and reinstall your mods after the patch.

6) THE SCREEN SHOWS PERIODIC BURSTS OF STATIC DURING COMBAT

a) This issue has reported for some players using Radeon cards. It has been resolved by turning off antialiasing in the game settings menu. Players have been able to use Radeon driver/hardware settings to override application settings and turn antialiasing back on with no issues.
b) As of build 0.3.108, players may also switch in-game antialiasing to SMAA, which we believe will fix this.

7) RANDOM CRASHES

a) There are numerous reports that using Citrix Workspace leads to crashes in Unity games. Fix is to uninstall Citrix.
b) Try to reduce the RAM load from the game by turning down texture quality and ensuring texture streaming is checked.

8) CRASH WHEN CLICKING ON AN ANIMATED COUNCILOR PORTRAIT

* We are working on fixes as of build 0.3.119 and later, but if you get this, you can turn off animated portraits and use static images instead in the game options.