Dark Event completing during infiltration to stop it.

UzielTD

Dark Event completing during infiltration to stop it.

Post by UzielTD »

LW2 1.1

PC

Cosmectic, QOL and Map mods. Other than that using True Concealment for LW2, LW2 Tac Suppressors, Avenger Events LW2 Pack, and GnaRs LW2 Tactical Submod.

While infiltrating the mission to stop a Dark Event, sometimes the DE is completed while the Avenger is moving to start the mission (after the infiltration stage is completed). Continuing on with the mission and successfully completing it will then not undo the effect of the DE.

No save, unfortunately.

I've heard that this is probably a vanilla bug, but the permanent nature of some DEs in LW2, as well as the cost associated with devoting resources towards trying to stop one only for a bug to simply negate the successful completion of said mission is incredibly punishing and frustrating. If you are aware of how this glitch plays out, you can (and probably should) abort a mission where this happens, but there is an opportunity cost that will have to be paid regardless, such not having been able to send that squad on other missions or use those weapons whilst you were busy infiltrating. If you are not aware of the glitch, you could very well find yourself going on a risky mission, thinking you can still undo the effect by completing it (like I did).
Abram

Dark events can activate before mission to stop them

Post by Abram »

1) version 1.1
2) Windows 10

3.1)mods
better tactical zoom, stop wasting my time, LW2 tactical suppressors, Gotcha, More maps pack, instant avenger menus, additional icons, LW2 ShowMeThe skills revived, EVAC all, True concealment for LW2.

3.2)mods cosmetic
custom face paint, ink and paint, additional face paint and tattoos, Capnbubs accessories pack, R6 siege armors, custom bandanas, more clothes options, more armor colors, Plasman elite tattoos, more eye colors, military camo patterns.

3.3)mods audio
international voice pack(LW2 version), Japanese, Korean(Geenius, Lucia), BF4 chinese, J. O'Neill, T. Montana, L4D2 Rochelle, L. Black.

4)Dark events can go active just before the mission to stop them needs to launch, thus making the mission you were infiltrating that comes up just after useless.

I just had this happen with "Greater Faceless".
Considering that animations play out of order, I think assuming event triggers are linnear would be a mistake.

Could Dark Event activation be delayed so they don't activate until after the mission to stop them?
I think this could be a multi-threading issue or timer issue, thus I suggest delaying of dark event activation to prevent out of order execution of the event before the mission to stop it is ready, as a possible fix.
Also adding a mission complete check to remove the event could also fix it independent of the cause.

5)I now have a save and the bug is repeatable so it must happen on generation or on discovery.

Edit 1: format, new information
Edit 2: 5) save available if desired and repeatable.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Re: Dark Event completing during infiltration to stop it.

Post by tracktwo »

Sorry for the super long delay, but I'm finally able to look into this bug and try to solve it. If you still have the saved game, I'd love to take a look at it.
caseywills

Post by caseywills »

I have a save, but I think it may be consistently reproducible.
I've seen it happen twice.
Basically any mission to prevent a dark event just needs to let the timer hit zero.
The dark event will be made active before the mission is prompted to start.

case
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

It doesn't happen for me, so either I fixed it (accidentally, with the squad disappearing fix) or it isn't always reproducible. If you can send me your save I'd really appreciate it, cause that'd settle it.
caseywills

Post by caseywills »

Where do you want me to mail the save to?
Also, I did a little testing and I think I found the issue.
First I tried to recreate it with a save from before. And it didn't recreate.
But all I was doing was scanning. Not flying around.
So I started flying around, and that did it. When the avenger is in transit, when the timer elapses, you get the dark event being added before the mission begins.

I can mail you my save (need an email address) or you can try to recreate yourself.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks to the save from caseywills I've found the bug and checked in a fix. It'll be in 1.3.

Basically the problem was the new activity-based DEs failed to disable the clock inside the vanilla DE. The DEs roll between a min/max duration to determine how long they last, and due to the bug two separate rolls were made. If the DE itself happens to roll a lower duration than the activity, the vanilla expiry code will kick in and activate it before the activity expires. If it rolled a higher duration, everything worked as intended because the activity immediately fires the DE upon activity expiry. This also explains why it wasn't always reproducible - I had bad (good?) luck on my rolls while trying to repro this and only had DEs that were set to expire after their associated activity.