What's up with damage to relays?

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

What's up with damage to relays?

Post by gimrah »

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. If it's a feature it should probably be more transparent.

So I was doing the Liberation 3 'destroy the relay'. I was trying to be sneaky and managed to get my sharpshooter in place with her ballistic sniper rifle with shinobi spotting for her. My strategy was just to plink away at it - it had 30HP but I had plenty of time, or so I thought.

Unfortunately plink away was what happened. Ballistic sniper rifle is meant to do 4-6 but I kept doing 2 or 3. It didn't say graze and surely you shouldn't be able to graze anyway?

I then tried precision shot as an experiment. In theory you can't crit a relay, right? It hit for 12 damage. (Not even sure how that's possible unless PS is actually +33% total damage if you crit, as opposed to +33% crit damage.)

But then back to 3 damage. Which hurt because it left the relay on 1hp on the last turn, which meant my shinobi had to sacrifice himself by revealing to finish it off.
Hellaki

Re: What's up with damage to relays?

Post by Hellaki »

I have also had ballistic sniper rifles do 2 or 3 dmg to the relay. It only happened on one turn of a mission - on the next turn it went back to 4 - 6 dmg.

I had a savegame, but I was unable to reproduce the behaviour, and it hasn't happened since.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

I suspect this is a graze band issue. What must be happening is that the base game sets your accuracy to 100 against environmental objects (because EOs have no dodge or defense so it'll hit every time then), but the graze band effectively gives them a 10% dodge chance (or whatever you set the graze band to). I've seen it happen plenty of times in my own games and on that of at least one streamer.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

If it's graze band, then a) that shouldn't happen and b) I shouldn't be able to crit either. Unless you want special shot attacks like precision shot to do extra damage, which would make sense.
Randal Miser

Post by Randal Miser »

I feel that it's entirely possible that this is intentionally as to make it harder to snipe relays.

I mean I could be wrong, but I've never seen any other weapon get low/graze level rolls when firing at the relay.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

that this is intentionally as to make it harder to snipe relays
Well for one thing, I don't see why as it seems a perfectly legit strategy that is in keeping with other missions set up to allow sneaky tactics.

But if it is intended to make it harder to take out relays in this way, then it still needs to be more transparent so that players can try to solve the problem with strategy rather than guesswork (or, in my case, suicide shinobis).
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

I can confirm that I have occasionally seen this in my games as well - doing damage to relays that is less than the minimum that weapon should do.

Next time it happens I'll see if I can replicate it and grab the save file.
yuridaisuki

Post by yuridaisuki »

it also happens to other "map objects". I shot gas tanks and other stuff and did less then minimun weapon dmg.
SmurfUnunoctium

Post by SmurfUnunoctium »

yuridaisuki wrote:it also happens to other "map objects". I shot gas tanks and other stuff and did less then minimun weapon dmg.
I can confirm doing 2 dmg to gas tanks on a 3-5 roll range.