Creating a tutorial series for LW2/LWOTC

potatoroid

Creating a tutorial series for LW2/LWOTC

Post by potatoroid »

Howdy Y'all.

I've been playing a lot of Long War of the Chosen (on my 3rd attempt right now) and I've realized how much of the tactics and strategy in LW2/LWOTC is not explained much at all. I know a frequent criticism of LW2 that so many of the changes are poorly explained. I learned the basics from watching Xwynns and others on Youtube, but it doesn't convey the subtle yet important changes on the strategic layer. For example, not all missions are meant to be attempted, and that some missions are more important than others if you want to avoid ADVENT snowballing on you. Ie Supply raids and troop columns are more important than a random "find a lead" hacking mission. Regional strength is the difference between an easy mission and being swarmed by "doom reinforcements" before you even reach the objective. Throw out that evac flare. On most missions, you're here to play the objective and get out. Grenades are more about damage and shred, not cover destruction. Did I even mention infiltration?

But how to convey all these changes in an easy-to-digest way for new players? I initially thought of bringing in a talking head that would give tips as the player encounters them in their playthrough. Felt the biggest challenge was giving help without being intrusive or hand-holding the player. Someone else brought up the idea of making a series of tutorial missions that explain the changes; basically LW2/LWOTC in a nutshell. It may be possible to create this series in the same manner as the TLP mission packs. It would be even better if it had a "choose your adventure" style of choosing missions to simulate the effects of strategic choices and what missions you select.

One of my friends said she'd do the voice over work for these tutorials. I'm posting here to discuss the gameplay and technical challenges in making such a mod.