Possible errors calculating close-proximity aim bonuses

Lyzak

Possible errors calculating close-proximity aim bonuses

Post by Lyzak »

I noticed this in passing on a mission the other day. I will say up front, I haven't gotten a chance to further investigate and I don't have a save to provide at the moment, but I wanted to throw this out here anyhow to see if anyone else has noticed this.

I was playing a destroy-relay mission the other day and a drone came up onto the rooftop right beside my assault... and proceeded to shoot a different soldier, a few tiles away. Unimportant. My shotgun-weilding assault - still right next to the drone and unimpaired - then proceeded to take a shot at this drone. Despite being literally point-blank, my total chance to hit was an appalling ~50-60%, and I was not receiving any "weapon range" bonus in the detailed aim breakdown. As you might imagine, I missed this shot.

The drone then disoriented my assault.

The following turn, said assault - now impaired - moved a few tiles across the rooftop and now, standing 2-4 tiles away from the drone, took another shot. This time, despite being disoriented (and notably, despite NOT being literally right next to the target), I was receiving a sizable 20-30% proximity aim bonus! I took that friggin' drone down.

But... what exactly happened there? Standing adjacent to the drone (not a unit that can take any sort of cover, certainly), my shotgun was not receiving any kind of proximity aim bonus, but then when I walked around the drone and stood a few tiles away, my shot got a lot more accurate. Am I grossly misunderstanding what the patch notes meant when they said they buffed close-range aim for weapons like shotguns? Or is something fishy going on here?

Mods installed:
-Long War 1.3 (fresh install) playing on a new 1.3 campaign
-Overwatch All
-Evac All
-Numeric Health Display
-LW2 Information Display
-New Target Icons
-Drone Reveal Animation
-Actual Chain Lightning
-Perfect Information
-TacticalUI KillCounter
-Gotcha Again

When I'm not busy and can sit down and play again, I'll fiddle around some more with this and see if I can at least get some screenshots, or a game save.
Lyzak

Re: Possible errors calculating close-proximity aim bonuses

Post by Lyzak »

I played another mission today where this happened with one of my shotgun assaults. Here are images of two Sectoids I've flanked, one on either side of my assault; this really clearly illustrates what I was reporting.

The Sectoid in this first picture, my assault is adjacent to. Note how only the soldier's base aim is being applied; no weapon range bonus for being literally right next to them.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y76i9bty6ghvb ... rt%201.png

The Sectoid in this second picture, my assault is just one tile away from being adjacent to. Despite being a tile further away, I actually now get a +60% weapon range bonus for proximity.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pidu1i0h7qg41 ... rt%202.png

Is that... intended functionality? Again, I COULD be misunderstanding something about how range bonuses work but... I'm PRETTY sure that the intended functionality isn't, "Punish them for standing too close by taking away their entire proximity bonus."
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

That sounds suspiciously like the Sectoid is being calculated as in the same tile as your Assault in the first image.

The range bonuses for Shotguns are as follows (up to 6 tiles anyway):

Code: Select all

SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[0] = 0
SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[1] = 60
SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[2] = 45
SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[3] = 30
SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[4] = 15
SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[5] = 8
SHORT_CONVENTIONAL_RANGE[6] = 4
As you can see, at 0 tiles, the bonus is 0. There should be absolutely no case where you are at 0 tiles and still able to shoot at the Sectoid though (because you cannot actually be in the same tile). So it's a fascinating error.

If you still have a save from just before you got the buggy sectoid, can you try moving next to it from different directions and see what range modifiers you get?
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

Unfortunately, the save is probably long gone. Next time I take an assault with me (sometime later today hopefully :D ) I'll try to do some additional testing. 'tis a curious idea, if the various cardinal directions have some kind of directional bias. I'm also wondering if step-out causes some of the calculation errors. But at a naïve level, it certainly looks to me like range [0] is accidentally being calculated as "I'm right next to you" (one greater than "we are on the same tile") and range [1] is accidentally being calculated as "I'm one tile away from you" (one greater than "I'm right next to you").