Inconsistency in stat tradeoffs

MixyTheAlchemist

Inconsistency in stat tradeoffs

Post by MixyTheAlchemist »

This is a design bug, not a coding bug, but this seems like the place to put it.

I am looking at the stat tradeoffs in Toolbox.ini that are rolled for Not Created Equal soldiers, and I noticed that Dodge is treated inconsistently. When Aim is traded for Dodge, they are at a 1:2 ratio - Dodge has the same value here as do Defense and Psi. However, when Dodge is traded in any other way, it is at a lower rate - the same rate as Will and Hack.

The ratios work out for every other stat combination, so this seemed like it might just be a mistake. Then again, there are some trades that aren't even enabled, so it could be part of baking in greater variation.
Amineri

Re: Inconsistency in stat tradeoffs

Post by Amineri »

The lack of enforcing symmetry is part of the higher-level design (at least from my algorithm design viewpoint). It allows configuring explicitly asymmetric stat swaps so that soldier don't have to be "balanced" relative to each other. Some players like have some better soldiers and some worse. So the core design allows that.

That said, we attempted to configure the basic swaps for default Long War 2 settings to deliver a set of fairly balanced soldiers. There may be some small asymmetries possible, but the variance in how players value different stats and combinations of stats differently makes this a pretty minor effect.
MixyTheAlchemist

Re: Inconsistency in stat tradeoffs

Post by MixyTheAlchemist »

Good to know, thanks.