Havens Am I Micromanaging

Share strategy and tips here.
Jackal

Havens Am I Micromanaging

Post by Jackal »

So, I tend to have my best soldiers guarding my least populated havens in case of faceless or some other attack. But, when I need a mission or a soldier completes a AWC skill i have to unpile all five haven soldiers, dump all their weapons etc and fill out the best crew for the mission and then put whoever is left over and most suited back in the haven slots. This seems awful time consuming and I haven't really had any of the havens attacked in a while , although a dark event just put faceless BACK in my havens

while i'm at it... how difficult would it be to have a button that strips ALL weapons of ALL extras (magazines, scopes, reloaders, etc) because, again, sometimes I have to break down three rifles to set up a sniper and a gunner and it's just lots of steps
jfoevv820ueb

Re: Havens Am I Micromanaging

Post by jfoevv820ueb »

This mod should help with your gear problems.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =851424388
trihero

Post by trihero »

Yeah I feel the pain; I heard the devs were considering making a button to equip your haven advisers directly. There are lots of sucky UI things.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

THANKS for that mod! That will help a LOT (that looks like it might sound sarcastic, but it isn't i get sooo caught up with making sure my guys have all the best gear for important missions and it's like a four step process)

.. . but what are others doing about the haven advisors??... just putting some schlep in the haven position so you don't have to deal with moving them so often?
trihero

Post by trihero »

No I put pretty good guys and I try to keep the weapons no more than 2 tiers behind my best weapons. It's really annoying I agree, especially when I need an adviser to go on a real mission. You don't want your haven advisers to be TOO crappy because they show up on retals/mini retals and they can really make a difference if they have half-decent equipment.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

thanks trihero, well, at least i know that i'm not the only one doing it. It is a huge pain, but when attacked it's worth it. A good soldier with decent weapons can easily be the difference between a win and a loss.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Jackal wrote:thanks trihero, well, at least i know that i'm not the only one doing it. It is a huge pain, but when attacked it's worth it. A good soldier with decent weapons can easily be the difference between a win and a loss.
Oh yeahhhhh, I learned that lesson after one of my haven advisers was still using ballistic weapons on a strength 7 mini retal =.=
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

trihero wrote:
Jackal wrote:thanks trihero, well, at least i know that i'm not the only one doing it. It is a huge pain, but when attacked it's worth it. A good soldier with decent weapons can easily be the difference between a win and a loss.
Oh yeahhhhh, I learned that lesson after one of my haven advisers was still using ballistic weapons on a strength 7 mini retal =.=
how do you know the strength of the retal? does it tell you right before the retal or is it just the advent strength in that region
trihero

Post by trihero »

Well both. Advent strength in the region is the main one that gives you advance warning of how bad the intel raids will be, then when you examine the mission itself you see what the enemy activity is, like light, light moderate, etc.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

i am dreading the first retal mission... the faceless ones i've been pretty lucky with...

**spoiler alert**

unless you really screw up the ambush, you should be able to take out the advent and then run back overwatch and shoot the faceless as they advance...
Rex Dart

Post by Rex Dart »

What are the effects of advisor rank and class on the strategic level, if any?

Would there be any advantage to using an officer beyond the officer tactical abilities?
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Rex Dart wrote:What are the effects of advisor rank and class on the strategic level, if any?

Would there be any advantage to using an officer beyond the officer tactical abilities?
Officers in havens are better at detecting Faceless missions than normal soldiers.

There are diminishing returns that make the first 4 levels of the base and officer class more valuable than the more advanced levels, but officer levels are worth about half as much as the same base level. There are some strong incentives to use a Major to find and purge Faceless from your havens, but lower ranked soldiers and officers are still quite capable. Just don't expect to put a Squaddie in there and easily find Faceless :)

Removing Faceless from your havens is crucial as every Faceless is very nearly as bad as having 3 less rebels on a job than you think. Faceless also cause retaliation missions to spawn more easily.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Rex Dart wrote:What are the effects of advisor rank and class on the strategic level, if any?

Higher ranks are much quicker at detecting faceless, and they also provide a bonus multiplier based on rank for recruiting new rebels/rookies.

The psi class has a special modifier that makes them the quickest at detecting faceless, but there are no other class interactions. Fun trivia: a max rank non-officer psi, detects faceless faster than a max rank, max officer non-psi.
Rex Dart

Post by Rex Dart »

Is there a way to tell if a region is free of Faceless?

I'm thinking sending a Major around from region to region as a "troubleshooter" might make sense.

Separate question: Do you still need rebels on Intel for liberated regions? I understand that Recruit is still useful for rookies (and potentially Engineers or Scientists)?
trihero

Post by trihero »

Is there a way to tell if a region is free of Faceless?
Nope! You have to live with it. On average and in the long run, I lose few resources to faceless as long as I have a soldier adviser.
nightwyrm

Post by nightwyrm »

Currently, I know I have at least one faceless in one of my four liberated regions, but replacing my engineer advisors with soldiers will likely cost me more in supplies than just letting him steal things....
trihero

Post by trihero »

nightwyrm wrote:Currently, I know I have at least one faceless in one of my four liberated regions, but replacing my engineer advisors with soldiers will likely cost me more in supplies than just letting him steal things....
Yeah, you just have to live with the fact that sometimes faceless will impact your resources a little bit, just don't let it get out of hand.

But also remember that with soldier advisers you can always just pull them out at the last moment to go run a mission. Unless you are in danger of being caught by the UFO, soldiers that are just sitting on the avenger have absolutely no reason not to be haven advisers until you are ready to send them on missions.
nightwyrm

Post by nightwyrm »

trihero wrote:
nightwyrm wrote:Currently, I know I have at least one faceless in one of my four liberated regions, but replacing my engineer advisors with soldiers will likely cost me more in supplies than just letting him steal things....
Yeah, you just have to live with the fact that sometimes faceless will impact your resources a little bit, just don't let it get out of hand.

But also remember that with soldier advisers you can always just pull them out at the last moment to go run a mission. Unless you are in danger of being caught by the UFO, soldiers that are just sitting on the avenger have absolutely no reason not to be haven advisers until you are ready to send them on missions.
Too much clicking. Also, I'm not sure pulling a soldier out of a Haven won't reset the "detect faceless" bucket or if they don't start working till a day has passed like your rebels.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Rex Dart wrote:Is there a way to tell if a region is free of Faceless?
I think the only way to be certain is to have all rebels in all Havens on supplies and not lose any as reported in the monthly summary. Perhaps switching them all to supplies 5 or so days before the supply drop (same date as the summary) and see what happens?

Of course, you see you're losing supplies, you have to send in a soldier to root them out. Which you can do anyhoo.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

nightwyrm wrote:
trihero wrote:

Too much clicking. Also, I'm not sure pulling a soldier out of a Haven won't reset the "detect faceless" bucket or if they don't start working till a day has passed like your rebels.
Rendezvous is a mission, it follows the same rules as any other, it just only gets points from a soldier.
trihero

Post by trihero »

It's not the most beautiful interface because the game wasn't originally designed for it, so it's unfortunately something you have to put up with if you're interested in detecting faceless. If you don't care that much, you can just yolo and not click very much / set some garbo soldier there indefinitely.

Pulling a soldier out of a haven, I think this question has been asked and answered many times, the answer was it does NOT reset the bucket, but the bucket does reset on its own occasionally such as when the mission has expired. Thus, there's really no reason outside of being "lazy" (which I don't mean in an insulting way, I can get it's frustrating when you have too many havens) to not swap in your best advisers and swap them out when you need to go on missions.

It's immaterial whether if they start working one day after a switch, the point is it doesn't cost you to switch to begin with, they build off any cumulative intel from the previous advisers, and "missing" one day of intel, even if that were the case, is a pretty small effect overall.