Defense or Dodge?

Share strategy and tips here.
Cerebus

Defense or Dodge?

Post by Cerebus »

My assumption is:
Defense conteracts Aim, so for every point of Defense, the to-hit-chance is lowered by 1%. When the aim bonuses are high enough, defense is completely neutralized.
Dodge is an absolute value for an independant roll. If successful, the hit category is lowered (from crit to hit, hit do graze and graze to miss)

In practical terms, this should mean that soldiers who are more likely to be flanked will value dodge over defense, since, without the added cover bonus, their defense value could be irrelevant against high-aim enemies, while the dodge chance always comes into play. Conversely, soldiers who always stay behind reliable cover should favor defense, since it will lower a small chance of being hit even further.

Am I mistaken in any of this?
trihero

Re: Defense or Dodge?

Post by trihero »

Sounds reasonable. I'm not actually sure about independent rolls; I remember reading an article where they described the new graze system and they initially describe it as 3 indepedent rolls, but if you read the disclaimer at the bottom it says something like it's not actually 3 independent rolls, but whatever =_=

Stacking defense with high cover is extremely effective yes, and if you're getting flanked you're prolly gonna get hit anyways so dodge will reduce what damage you do take.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

It was three rolls in EU/EW. It's one roll with all of the factors worked in to it in X2. LW2 alters it again however, where you suffer penalties to Crit based on your to-hit chance so that low accuracy shots aren't guaranteed crits if they do hit, and dodge adds on to the graze band now as I understand it.

The best way to understand it is to install Perfect Information and look at the accuracy bar, it shows you how the different outcomes are mapped on to the d100 roll.
Sines

Post by Sines »

What you said sounds more or less right, OP. I will add one point though.

Any unit running Suppression is better off with Defense. The amount of damage you take is less important than whether you take damage at all, in order to keep supressing. Sure, Dodge can turn a graze into a miss, but so can Defense. There might be some turning point by which Dodge is better at turning grazes into misses than Defense, but I think the general point will hold in most circumstances when all else is equal.

For some quick maths... lets compared basic Defense and Agility PCS. Defense adds 4, and Agility adds 12 dodge. Assuming a graze band of 20...

Defense converts 4% of the 20% graze band to misses. That is, 20% of all grazes are turned into misses.

Agility converts 12% of all grazes to misses, regardless of the graze band size.

So for your Gunners, Defense PCS is superior to Agility PCS for maintaining their suppression. I believe you'd also be better off with a minimum dodge, maximum defense NCE soldier, than with the converse, but I'm not sure exactly what the minimum and maximum values are.