More details on War of the Chosen

Jacke

More details on War of the Chosen

Post by Jacke »

Saw this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/ ... _from_ign/

linking this IGN article on XCOM 2 War of the Chosen.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/e ... the-chosen

The first comment on reddit has a summary of the article.

This answers a lot of questions about what The War of the Chosen will bring to XCOM 2. Lots of changes and extensions. It looks very interesting. I can see LW2 accommodating it but only with a partial rewrite and rebalance major version. The update also incorporates things like extended Will and troop exhaustion, similar to LW1 and Grimy's Moral Mod.
Last edited by Jacke on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmkaplan

Re: More details on War of the Chosen

Post by nmkaplan »

This is really interesting. It seems like they're aiming to do a lot more to change the overall gameplay of XCOM2 then they did with Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within.

EW added some cool features (MECs, Gene Modding, EXALT), but didn't really change the core gameplay in a meaningful way. Certainly not in the way Long War 1 did.

With this expansion, it almost seems like they're going for more of an overhaul, more in the vein of LW2 or Spectrum.

I totally agree with whomever it was that posted in the other thread about not being interested in ever going back to Vanilla XCOM2. LW2 just has too much going for it versus Vanilla -- the modding community as a whole has just really done so much to improve and refine XCOM2. But the more that comes out regarding this expansion, the more I start to feel like it could actually be a comparable experience to LW2.
sadh

Post by sadh »

That's a great read, tons of new detail. They weren't lying, this is a much, much bigger expansion and overhaul of the game mechanics than was EW. Looks to be a lot of risk/reward choices to add tension to the gameplay.

I won't mind if PI doesn't have LW2 adapted for WotC at launch, as it sure looks like it will be no small task. Plus, it would be good to complete a vanilla playthrough to learn the new systems. However, I'm excited about the possibilities that all this new complexity opens up for mods and I'm hopeful PI can re-imagine LW2 and work their magic again.
Bill365

Post by Bill365 »

As much as I am loving LW2, I am absolutely going to play at least one run-through of the vanilla War of the Chosen (w/ fun custom character and qol mods, of course) before any Long War version even IF they have a LW adaptation ready to go at release. To me, it seems the obvious way to go. LW is awesome. But so is the vanilla. (In fact, it will be kind of refreshing to be able to send guys on a mission and play it immediately instead of a couple RL days later)

The thing I like about what the expansion seems to be is that they are trying to simply make the game more FUN.