The real war begins...

Jeckhyl

The real war begins...

Post by Jeckhyl »

Will LW2 be compatible with the now annouced expansion ?
Lyzak

Re: The real war begins...

Post by Lyzak »

Jeckhyl wrote:Will LW2 be compatible with the now annouced expansion ?
I think you're probably jumping, like, three sharks. There is no announced expansion, Firaxis isn't doing their announcement of whatever it is until the 12th, and I guarantee you if Pavonis knows anything about what the mysterious announcement is, they're not allowed to say shit about it until then. :lol:

Having said that, common sense dictates that WHATEVER Firaxis announces on Monday, Pavonis is gonna make their stuff work with it. After all, they've said a few times that Firaxis basically commissioned the stand-alone mods and Long War 2.
Last edited by Lyzak on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

Just saw the post on FB... now the week is gonna go slower than usual until the 12th. Thanks Firaxis ¬¬
sadh

Post by sadh »

They teased TFTD in the outtro video after a victorious X2 campaign. Can't imagine why they'd have done that if they didn't intend to release a TFTD expansion. That's my guess.
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

I hope not. IMHO, TFTD was quaint but it didn't really feel like XCOM. I mean, the whole fighting under water was weird, didn't really feel like I was fighting aliens you know?

Anyway, whatever it is they're planning I'm sure I'll find a way to like it.
MrStraw

Post by MrStraw »

I read somewhere in an interview, that they do not plan to make TFTD, because it would be hard to make the underwater combat look realistic.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

guys I'm sorry, what's TFTD ?
First time I read of this, do we know something concrete about it ?
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

Terror From the Deep. One of the expansions to the old 80s version of X-Com.

They're refering to this: https://www.facebook.com/Firaxis-Games-134693940170/

It appears to be an announcement of an announcement. We'll know more on June 12th.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Terror from the Deep came out in 1995 and was the second game in the series. It was not an expansion, though it had a lot of similar points with Xcom 1, Enemy Unknown (the original from 1994).

Here is a gameplay video. The main issue behind the game was that some of the maps were huge and you could not leave the mission before eliminating all aliens.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

With such a title it will probably have something to do with that "other enemy" even the Ethreals seem to fear. I don't think Firaxis will go TFTD thought, especially now that Phoenix Point is around the corner. It would probably make more sense to stay pure SciFi and leave the Chtulu-SciFi mix to Julian Gollop.
Last edited by LordYanaek on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

LordYanaek wrote:With such a title it will probably have something to do with that "other" enemy even the Ethreals seem to fear. I don't think Firaxis will go TFTD thought, especially now that Phoenix Point is around the corner. It would probably make more sense to stay pure SciFi and leave the Chtulu-SciFi mix to Julian Gollop.
My guess is as good as yours, knowing literally nothing right now other than a name, but it would seem to me that these "other enemies" the Etherials refer to would be a hugely story-driven point that's ideal to explore in a whole new game, not additional content in an existing game. I'd be stunned if whatever this to-be-announced something-or-other is, contained such a huge 'next chapter' in the XCOM universe.

But I suppose we'll see what all this buzz is, on Monday. I just hope whatever new content Firaxis is planning, it includes right of the box a monstrous number of bugfixes and optimizations, or I may just not bother this time. :?
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Lyzak wrote:My guess is as good as yours, knowing literally nothing right now other than a name, but it would seem to me that these "other enemies" the Etherials refer to would be a hugely story-driven point that's ideal to explore in a whole new game, not additional content in an existing game. I'd be stunned if whatever this to-be-announced something-or-other is, contained such a huge 'next chapter' in the XCOM universe.
In the previous XCOM, the expansion was additional content in the existing campaign. That doesn't have to be the case. They could certainly make a new campaign to be played from scratch if they wanted to.

I'm certainly a little excited to hear about new content coming down the line. I just hope its something we can play soon and not next year.
sadh

Post by sadh »

Since it's impossible to know until the 12th, I recommend we all instead resort to wild-ass crazy speculation and pie-in-the-sky wish-listing.

While I'm sticking w/ my "TFTD" guess, I'd love to be wrong and learn that Humanity finally turns the tide and take the fight to the aliens on their home systems. A small team commandeers an FTL-capable vessel and lights out to the Sectoid home planet. The team awakes from cryostasis weak and emaciated. The squad is gradually trained up to their former strength, the planet is mined for resources and base-building ensues. Territories are conquered and lost dynamically along the lines of Jagged Alliance 2. Enslaved indigenous populations are freed and join our cause. Deals are brokered with shadowy underground elements and intergalactic mercenary organizations. Alliances are negotiated and other peaceful civilizations under attack by the Elders flock to our banner. Tactical capital ship and fighter space battles litter space with salvageable junk components to upgrade our fleet. Medical advances lead to cloned soldiers who reach maturity in months, and new tissue is grown from stem-cells to keep soldiers going strong; a fresh, new heart is shipped back to Earth in order to resurrect Jerry Garcia, who shows up months later with a Plasma Stratocaster and starts just totally kicking everyone's ass.

Alright, maybe that last bit goes a bit off the rails, but the point is well made. I think the tactical layer is very solid. I'm hoping for a significant increase in the strategy layer complexity.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

Guys, guys guys. Come on, this isn't hard to figure out. It's going be the long-awaited X-Com dating sim, where your soldiers can romance each and every alien type. Finally.
Bantichai

Post by Bantichai »

I have a feeling it's going to be an expansion, most Firaxis games release an expansion after a year or so. I can't see Firaxis teasing something like this only for it to be a live stream session/mod. Plus just in time for E3 with Jake himself going over, I'm getting pumped. I just hope LW2 integrates in with it :)
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

@sadh..

Nope -- it's gonna go like this;

-- A new weird Mission (DLC style) creeps up during a regular Geoscape scan with an obvious warning PopUp; "Responding to this particular event will completely tilt this campaign into a different gameplay context.. react only with the greatest Squad you can gather!"

-- Upon arrival.. the drop Zone is within visual range of a strange Triangular anomaly (Apocalypse dimension). Opening up via an explosion that unleash a fleet of unfamiliar UFOs that unloads waves after waves of tough Pods, many of which having new Alien species with spectacular Weapons.

-- You win that battle & you are now offered supplemental variations with another warning PopUp; "Cydonia or Bust!" .. ETC.

-- Life goes on except the entire story concept has been revised with numerous gameplay twists & turns.. which we get to discover as usual via campaign events far beyond the previous XC2 scopes.

-- The elusive Angelis/Ethereals are now fully present and can control an armada of Oceanic & supra-dimensional life-forms.

-- Titanesque combats and wildly innovative story points are then served to us progressively until we're invited on some interplanetary hunt of the ultimate Boss (created by Vahlen experiments!) hiding in a network of multi-Bases (found to be distributed in many Solar-System locations like Venus, Mars, Europa, IO, Ceres & Asteroids). Accessible only via our own "Triangular Anomaly".. researched & engineered as often as resources permits.

-- All of which still happening alongside the "Avatar Project" concerns & regular XC2 obligations.

-- Duality of Real -- Wars.

YOU wrote "_crazy-ass speculations_" -- so, there it is! :)
dccrux

Post by dccrux »

My wild-speculation money is on something Bradford says in passing about taking the ship and flying it to the aliens...

X-COM 2.5 The Revenge-inating! Led by Central Officer Bradford and a plucky crew of operatives, the X-COM flying base launches itself into outer space, heading RIGHT FOR the alien homeworld!

The first half of the game is like FTL, and the second half is like Starcraft, just to mess with everyone.
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

I hope it brings back Van Doorn as part of the ship's cast.
Franzy

Post by Franzy »

Would be fun if that will be just LW2 1.5 wrapped into a one nice DLC :)
deducter

Post by deducter »

Must burn underwater snek.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

Frei_Ninjesus wrote:I hope it brings back Van Doorn as part of the ship's cast.
Ahem.
Central Officer Bradford wrote:We're picking up a transmission on an insecure frequency. Some guy that calls himself 'Van Doorn.' Doesn't sound like the kind of recruit we're looking for...
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

sadh wrote:Since it's impossible to know until the 12th, I recommend we all instead resort to wild-ass crazy speculation and pie-in-the-sky wish-listing.
Crazy speculations are fun :lol:

Here is how i see the post-XCOM2 world and how i would go with a sequel, be it an entirely new game or a large expansion featuring a new storyline :
  • The real war just begins as a larger threat than we faced so far appears : the unknown enemy of the Etherals.
  • With the Elders defeated aliens are now free, something they haven't been for wayyy too long and some of them turned rogue. Roaming bands of Mutons are definitely a concern but Chrysalid hives in the city sewers are an even bigger threat.
  • ADVENT wasn't only Aliens, humans were also involved and some of those are not ready to give up their power. New governments have risen from the ashes of the global ADVENT and not all of those are friendly to XCOM. The clone troopers found new masters.
In the middle of all of this, XCOM must now not only protect Earth but also help rebuild it and Aliens are not the only concerns they have
  • Humans are far from united, some regions are sympathetic but others must be conquered or left on their own. What will XCOM do when some of their foes are their own species?
  • What to do with those aliens left on earth? The most extreme just want to exterminate them but some want to consider them as war prisoners. With a larger threat coming in, it might also be possible to ally them for everyone's survival, after all they know more about that threat than we do. Maybe we can field some Muton soldiers or have a Sectoid scientist to help find means to fight the new threat, but how will humans react to this?
I think it could make some really interesting scenario but i rather doubt the expansion will look like this.

However, even if we just have an Enemy Within style expansion adding some content to the existing game and story, it's entirely possible to introduce the new threat to be developed in XCOM3. Maybe some new missions will introduce the "Contagion Zones" from Resurrection to the game itself. I always thought they were related to the unnamed threat.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Lyzak wrote:I just hope whatever new content Firaxis is planning, it includes right of the box a monstrous number of bugfixes and optimizations, or I may just not bother this time. :?
Same. I will still 'bother' with it no matter what, but seeing as EW was technically superior to EU, there's hope
foreverdead

Post by foreverdead »

I hope I'm wrong but it's probably a new story mission with a little something attached for the campaign like the last couple...please let me be wrong though.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Lyzak wrote:Ahem.
Central Officer Bradford wrote:We're picking up a transmission on an insecure frequency. Some guy that calls himself 'Van Doorn.' Doesn't sound like the kind of recruit we're looking for...
I just discovered, thanks to researching this quote, that Van Doorn is a hero soldier in XCom 2. That makes me really happy. xD Does anyone know if he has his original voice lines?