Where is the fun on the geoscape?

RXTXK

Where is the fun on the geoscape?

Post by RXTXK »

I can't seem to find it.
I can find it building stuff in engineering.
I can find it fighting stuff in missions.
I can't seem to find it on the world map, there is no real strategic choice, I can't do anything that feels meaningful with or about advent strength.
I kind of figure a pop-up menu that says your options for the next three missions are X,Y or Z pick one, would achieve the same thing.,,
Sevireth

Re: Where is the fun on the geoscape?

Post by Sevireth »

Spread your resistance wide and strike where the advent has the least strength - that is, put every haven you are not invested in to have all hiding except 4 intel - in case they catch a DE brewing - and put 4 intel 9 suppliers in every liberated region, and only go above 4 intel in havens where you see low advent strength, and avenger scan there

Perhaps focus on one-two havens, run lots of missions and sabotages there, and then park down and start popping ambush troops missions for easy materiel with your combat crews, as your small spec ops teams see new places and meet new people all over the world in the meantime
Find yourself having to pull your A-team out of an HQ assault because you simply must counter the Venom Rounds, or choose to swallow the pain
Find yourself deploying your A-, B-, and C- teams on combat missions around the world that you need to complete, and then get stung by a UFO Hunt. Who do you pull out? Do you hope it does not catch you?
Find yourself sending your A-team on so many long-infiltration combat missions that the B-team that was popping easy relays and ambushes starts to out-level them, and start to make choices about deployments
Run a log of missions, to keep track of where you attract advent attention, and find yourself passing on an easy rewarding mission in a region you are liberating because you have ran one too many Recover Items there, and now are facing a real possibility of a 7-strength HQ assault

These are all things I have learned running campaigns on Rookie and Veteran, just to get a feel for the game mechanics. There are plenty of choices to be made once your resistance grows large enough - if you of course understand cause and effect, and look out for the future of your campaign
Goldenmonkey

Re: Where is the fun on the geoscape?

Post by Goldenmonkey »

I think this results from the weakest point of the mod, how information about the mechanics is presented.
You have to do some serious digging and reading to know how the mechanics work. Then it becomes fun, at least for me.
I want to be able to manipulate advent strength in a region, the missions I might generate etc.
For example, I am trying to get a region or two, where I try to balance strength and vigilance in a way to maximize chances of rescue scientist/engineer missions. (It should be, no more than 1 mission a week, 8 guys on intel and advent strength below 4, if I am correct)

When I see strength building up next to a liberated region, I will try to create a diversion somewhere else, to reduce chances of invasion

I see a lot of fun in this, but it does take some reading. The mod could really use a tutorial on these things. On the other hand, there are plenty of videos out there from the comunity.