Could we have another tube in the AWC or GTS

Elfich

Could we have another tube in the AWC or GTS

Post by Elfich »

Call it a "Advanced Conditioning and Training" tube. Select the soldier and pick: Aim, Will, Move, Hack, Health, Dodge. After a training period that single attribute is improved (Aim, Dodge, Hack, Will by 3-7 and Move, HP by 1).
The training time is predicated on the soldier's existing skill level. The higher it is the longer it takes (length of time subject to balancing, but if the soldier is above the norm for that attribute the training time becomes punishing). So this tube is better at helping soldiers that have a weakness rather than boosting already good soldiers. It may also be good for some limited cross training, by giving some people a primitive Hack skill. I think we have all that that soldier that can't keep up with the squad or can't shoot worth crap and could use some help. But it isn't going to completely cover for the grenadier that is carrying around a dozen grenades.
Severian

Re: Could we have another tube in the AWC or GTS

Post by Severian »

You could just edit the ini files to reduce the time required for training.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Severian wrote:You could just edit the ini files to reduce the time required for training.
Nice job completely missing OP's point. :roll:

~~

@OP: Not a terrible idea, but I feel like this might make PCS chips a little redundant/less valuable, and likewise devalue the Integrated Warfare GTS Upgrade.
ConradKurze

Post by ConradKurze »

Elfich wrote:Call it a "Advanced Conditioning and Training" tube. Select the soldier and pick: Aim, Will, Move, Hack, Health, Dodge. After a training period that single attribute is improved (Aim, Dodge, Hack, Will by 3-7 and Move, HP by 1).
The training time is predicated on the soldier's existing skill level. The higher it is the longer it takes (length of time subject to balancing, but if the soldier is above the norm for that attribute the training time becomes punishing). So this tube is better at helping soldiers that have a weakness rather than boosting already good soldiers. It may also be good for some limited cross training, by giving some people a primitive Hack skill. I think we have all that that soldier that can't keep up with the squad or can't shoot worth crap and could use some help. But it isn't going to completely cover for the grenadier that is carrying around a dozen grenades.
The idea is interesting but it completely removes the point of Not Created Equally.

If you want standard soldiers (everyone has the same move, same base aim, same base dodge) you can turn NCE off in the menu.
If you want super soldiers you can edit the ini to give boosts to base stat levels.

NCE is interesting BECAUSE it causes things like this. You might have a guy with 75 base aim, but 13 mobility. You might have a guy with 60 base aim, but 17 mobility and 5 hp. Giving that 75 aim guy up to 15 mobility (standard) then he is just a superior specimen, no weakness, and thus not interesting.
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

I don't think we need "Advanced Conditioning and Training." I do think that Combat Fitness should receive a higher weighting as an AWC perk draw. In doing so accomplishes your "Advanced Conditioning and Training" but, with half the balance issues and a tenth of the development time.

However, another VR pod upgrade for the AWC is something we definitely need.
Elfich

Post by Elfich »

Part of my intent is, I am not entirely countering NCE. But there is limited availability to improve some soldiers so you can paper over some of the issues in the squad.

It might be a more viable item if NCE had a WIDE range of rookie attributes that were available so some conditioning of rookies was needed.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

NoDebate wrote:However, another VR pod upgrade for the AWC is something we definitely need.
Max is two already, the second can be unlocked once a soldier hits second-highest rank.

Doubt it'd be too hard to add a third if that's what you mean, though.
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

Arcalane wrote:
NoDebate wrote:However, another VR pod upgrade for the AWC is something we definitely need.
Doubt it'd be too hard to add a third if that's what you mean, though.
That is what I am getting at.
Kizaray

Post by Kizaray »

Can someone please make this a mod or part of long war? With so many soldiers it encourages you to have multiple squads but with the limited time and space in the AWC that contradicts that theme. Maybe allow players build 2 AWCs or allow a third VR training spot. It might be difficult to code that in, i dont know. If it is then allowing 2 AWCs might be the solution. Just make it so the second AWC doesnt half the healing time again and you are set. Same thing for the Psy Lab. I would be nice to have an extra spot or a second lab.
RapidFire

Post by RapidFire »

ConradKurze wrote:
Elfich wrote:Call it a "Advanced Conditioning and Training" tube. Select the soldier and pick: Aim, Will, Move, Hack, Health, Dodge. After a training period that single attribute is improved (Aim, Dodge, Hack, Will by 3-7 and Move, HP by 1).
The idea is interesting but it completely removes the point of Not Created Equally.

If you want standard soldiers (everyone has the same move, same base aim, same base dodge) you can turn NCE off in the menu.
If you want super soldiers you can edit the ini to give boosts to base stat levels.

NCE is interesting BECAUSE it causes things like this. You might have a guy with 75 base aim, but 13 mobility. You might have a guy with 60 base aim, but 17 mobility and 5 hp. Giving that 75 aim guy up to 15 mobility (standard) then he is just a superior specimen, no weakness, and thus not interesting.
I understand the point, but as long as it's not set up so you can run a 50 soldier troop of super soldiers, I don't think it invalidates the NCE setting since there is a cost in time, just like with all AWC abilities. In real life, a soldier can train a weakness or even improve a strength. In XCOM 2/LW2, soldier stats like mobility are fixed. If that were true in real life, the Olympics would not be near as interesting to watch.
PWK87

Post by PWK87 »

This is kinda what the PCS slot is for, interesting idea though.
justdont

Post by justdont »

PWK87 wrote:This is kinda what the PCS slot is for, interesting idea though.
On the note of PCS, I think we really need some other way to get Fire Control perks to soldiers that doesn't involve filling up their PCS slot.