Do we know if the Long War team intend to do any (re) balancing with the Mechs?

Willowran

Do we know if the Long War team intend to do any (re) balancing with the Mechs?

Post by Willowran »

As-is they can be a little lackluster by comparison to the regular troops?
Goumindong

Re: Do we know if the Long War team intend to do any (re) balancing with the Mechs?

Post by Goumindong »

They're amazing.
Sines

Re: Do we know if the Long War team intend to do any (re) balancing with the Mechs?

Post by Sines »

You mean the SPARKS? They're actually pretty damn awesome right now. They're tanky as hell, and can function as mobile cover with Bulwark, allowing you to emergency protect an ally. While they have horrid aim, the fact that they don't need cover makes up for that, as they can just walk up to enemies, shoot them, and then draw fire which they can easily shrug off.

I think that a max rank, properly kitted out Gunner might outclass them in most respects (since you can't give them items, PCS or weapon mods), but that'd still require the right AWC talents (Resilience being a must). But if nothing else, they're a powerful, tough soldier, that doesn't need cover. That's a heck of a thing.

And while they're not quite SHIVs, they're also semi-mass producible. They get very little aim growth with level, and while their talent choices are good, they don't really need them to function. They are very front loaded, having high health and damage with nothing more than an armor and weapon upgrade (and honestly, you're probably not going to be losing one of these guys on evac missions, so if they get destroyed, you're probably saving their gear). They don't depend on their rank-ups nearly as much as human soldiers. +2 aim per level, and very few game-changing talent choices (only the last two levels, and MAYBE Bulwark). As distractions, they're a lot tougher than Rookies :D

Unless you're talking about compared to Vanilla. Vanilla SPARKS were okay at best, and sucked in practice. So yes, Long War did make them significantly more valuable units.
Willowran

Post by Willowran »

I would like it known for the record that when I made this post it was after reading a reddit thread that made it sound as though SPARKS had not been touched at all. I now realize I am dumb. Move along folks, move along. :lol: