Recommended and compatible mods for LW2?

Daergar

Recommended and compatible mods for LW2?

Post by Daergar »

It's been a while since I fired up Xcom2 and the plethora of mods I used to run.

I'm doing a fresh install in preparation for LW2 1.1 and am simply asking for recommendations regarding mods that go well with it. Preferably quality of life alterations and additions, as well as visuals and the like, just not mods that lessen the actual difficulty.
nmkaplan

Re: Recommended and compatible mods for LW2?

Post by nmkaplan »

I'm running a pretty clean game and enjoying it plenty. I think the only mod you ABSOLUTELY need is the Gotcha (Flank Preview). I'm also running Evac All and Overwatch All/Others, but that's it. Never cared enough to install all the cosmetic mods that add extra soldier skins and armor designs and such. A lot of the Quality of Life stuff (like color-coded icons that indicate whether taking an action will end your turn) is already there and some of the gameplay stuff (like improved suppression, better AI, and enemy variants) is already there as well.

If there's a particular mod you're interested in, user deaconivory appears to be putting in a ton of great work testing compatibility of certain mods. The document is here: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 20&t=23689
Last edited by nmkaplan on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Free camera rotation - lets you rotate camera so things are lined up "straight" vs 45 all the time
Perfect Information - lets you see the accuracy of every shot made
Additional Icons - lets you see which mobs are carrying loot (can disable), puts little icons above hp bar to show how much hp, movement, etc
Gotcha flank (flank preview) - turns the targeting icon yellow if you have a flanking shot (usually it's red), gives you aiming icons on hacking/shooting objectives super handy
Overwatch all - one button to set your squad to overwatch
Evac all - one button to evac anyone in the evac zone
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

Oh yeah, I'm running Free Camera Rotation and Perfect Information as well.

Though from what I'm reading, Perfect Information doesn't always give you accurate information?
JLtheking

Post by JLtheking »

Gotcha, Perfect Information, Grimy's Hotkeys and Additional Icons are absolutely essential for me. Other QOL are Evac All and Tactical UI Kill Counter.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Grimy's hotkeys is much better than free camera rotation, and accomplishes the same thing.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

Basic UI mods work fine. Pretty sure they're not built in to LW2 for exactly that reason.
ORIONOX

Post by ORIONOX »

I use many of the mods that have already been recommended, plus I use a modified True concealment, and a modified tactical suppressors. I think both of these compliment the stealth section of the game quiet well.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Devon_v wrote:Basic UI mods work fine. Pretty sure they're not built in to LW2 for exactly that reason.
I'm pretty sure that's not true; 1) they don't think of every UI tweak possible, even if they could think of them it takes time to implement 2) the designers who play the game use mods like PI and flank evolved, like this guy (apparently he's has some kind of internal 1.1 version where the flamethrower is updated, for instance, and you can clearly see he uses QoL mods)

https://www.youtube.com/xwynns
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

trihero wrote:
Devon_v wrote:Basic UI mods work fine. Pretty sure they're not built in to LW2 for exactly that reason.
I'm pretty sure that's not true; 1) they don't think of every UI tweak possible, even if they could think of them it takes time to implement 2) the designers who play the game use mods like PI and flank evolved, like this guy (apparently he's has some kind of internal 1.1 version where the flamethrower is updated, for instance, and you can clearly see he uses QoL mods)

https://www.youtube.com/xwynns
What I'm saying is there doesn't need to be a Long War version of Gotcha! because it already works fine with LW2. Unlike the first one there's no reason to incorporate other mods because they already work along side. So everyone should install the QoL mods, they all work fine.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

trihero wrote:Free camera rotation - lets you rotate camera so things are lined up "straight" vs 45 all the time
LW2 has built-in free camera rotate under options.

Also I have tested:

1) All the Mass Effect & Star Wars alien cosmetics packs work just fine. The Mass Effect altered races (read: new stats) are not compatible, however.

2) True Concealment for LW2 is compatible (obviously). The original is not.

3) Numeric Health Display works fine.

4) Use Correct Class works if you got back into your custom soldier pool and change all the soldiers to use the new LW2 classes first.

5) Tactical Suppressors LW2 seems to be working. At least it hasn't broken anything.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Compatible Mods:

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 20&t=23689

Recomended Mods:

Here are my recommended mods for your first run through of Long War 2, bearing in mind that a un-modded campaign is the best possible choice:

This is the core of my QoL mods:

Gotcha (Flank Preview Evolved) 629910798
Evac All 618669868
Overwatch All/Others 621695447
Perfect Information 625737801
Free Camera Rotation 616359783 (note that this is actually different then LW2 camera controls or Grimy's Hotkys controls, mainly because of the camera tilt options with the [ and ] keys, nothing is as awesome as playing X2 or LW2 at eye level)
Remove Missing Mods 641394554 (if you use any mods at all you should have this enabled)

For a faster paced game, i.e. less animations, add these mods (be forewarned these mods can cause some very minor graphical glitches that don't affect gameplay, but you may notice inconsistency, weapons on-screen may appear misaligned during a soldier's actions for example)

Stop Wasting My Time 620600092
robojumper's various speed-ups 746389497
Instant Avenger Menus 628187112 (causes the annoying "Avenger Ramp" continuous sound, if you get that bug click on the Command tab and then any sub-menu to stop it)
Quick Reload 643302414

For helpful on-screen tactical information pick ONE of these three:

Additional Icons 646244015 (I use this and edit the ini to remove everything except the HP and name of the unit)
Show Health Values 617015579
Numeric Health Display 621376448

Optional QoL mods (because they are awesome and/or helpful):

Quick soldier info 642371502 (I edit the ini to make the icons a bit smaller to reduce the chance of mis-clicks)
Advent Flashlights 722174182
Better Debug Camera (Mouse + Keyboard) 803411007
HunkerDownMod 621389964 (For the ability to "stop, drop, and roll" to put out fires)
Upgrade Reminder 624726628
Capnbubs Accessories Pack 618977388 (because it’s friggin’ Capnbubs and your soldiers need a goddamned beret that’s why)
Your choice of customization mods.
Your choice of voicepacks