[Suggestion]Bonus exp for completing missions without getting spotted

For requests, ideas and general mod talk
shinjitumala

[Suggestion]Bonus exp for completing missions without getting spotted

Post by shinjitumala »

The title says it all. I just thought it would be cool if I could get exp for getting a VIP out or anything without getting spotted. That way the stealthy gameplay would be more rewarding in my opinion.
warbrand2

Re: [Suggestion]Bonus exp for completing missions without getting spotted

Post by warbrand2 »

uh seeing as it is impossible to complete a mission with out being spotted, do to the fact once you trigger the objective you are instantly spotted.
darkerevent

Post by darkerevent »

I think the OP is referring to completing a mission without activating any pods, which is indeed very possible in the current patch (1.2).

It would be a cool feature if stealth gameplay was going to receive further development, but it sounds like the game's going to be rebalanced to encourage a louder approach to guerilla missions with a medium-sized squad in 1.3, so I doubt this feature would see much use in that patch and beyond.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

I'd love such a bonus. Quite a few mods out there improve stealth gameplay.
Is it too strong or why would 1.3 go the opposite direction?
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Stealth in XCOM2 is a cool feature, but it's not a core gameplay mechanic. XCOM is not a stealth game. Concealment is not something that's meant to be held onto for the whole mission, but rather to provide you some initial cover until you come out shooting when the time is right.

Stealth in 1.2 was unintentionally overpowered - it was too easy to complete too many mission types without breaking stealth until the last minute. Don't get me wrong - I love stealth games and I loved stealthing it up in 1.2, but it's pretty clear the game wasn't designed with that as a core practice. The number of times I had to reload because I got spotted by some random enemy who wasn't even visible when I started moving is ridiculous.

1.3/1.4 corrects this, and I generally agree with the changes made. Stealthing is still a viable option in some cases, but it requires building a strategy around it, and even then it won't always be feasible in all missions. In general, it is much more feasible to use concealment to set up an ambush on the first pod you find, slaughter them all before they know what's coming, and then advance with guns (and CCs) blazing, which ends up playing a lot more like XCOM1 (as it should.)