LW Will Not Start After Windows 10 Update

Troubleshooting instructions here
pingpong

LW Will Not Start After Windows 10 Update

Post by pingpong »

Hi

I've had this same issue happen each time I update Win 10 (I am using the Insiders Program's version of Windows 10 which is updated frequently). After the Windows 10 Update, I cannot open LW and need to validate local cache and re-install LW and all the various mods before I can play again. Is there an easier fix/solution to this (short of buying a new Win 10 license)?

Thank you in advance.

Regards
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: LW Will Not Start After Windows 10 Update

Post by johnnylump »

One of the things the mod does on install is directly change the vanilla .exe (so mods work at all). That can trip all kinds of issues that only a clean install can fix. Not sure that's what is going on in your case, though.
pingpong

Post by pingpong »

johnnylump wrote:One of the things the mod does on install is directly change the vanilla .exe (so mods work at all). That can trip all kinds of issues that only a clean install can fix. Not sure that's what is going on in your case, though.
Thanks for your response. I was hoping that this was a common problem and that someone may have addressed it already ...

Thanks anyways and best of luck on your new projects!
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

The issue might result from Windows 10 preventing changes in .exe files within Program Files directory (if Steam's game folder is installed there). So if the modded game does not start, I would check if Windows had not restored the original .exe from its 'shadow copy'. The only solution might be moving Steam outside Program Files - ugh... big job.
pingpong

Post by pingpong »

szmind wrote:The issue might result from Windows 10 preventing changes in .exe files within Program Files directory (if Steam's game folder is installed there). So if the modded game does not start, I would check if Windows had not restored the original .exe from its 'shadow copy'. The only solution might be moving Steam outside Program Files - ugh... big job.
Thanks for the response. However, my Steam installation is on a seperate drive -- I have my OS on SSD and the Steam's game folder on a HDD
sinisalo

Post by sinisalo »

Steam in separate drive, play LW (approximately) day once in 1-2 month this year (soon more)
2nd time in this year: xcom doesn't start (no eu or ew=lw)

solution:
save savegame/.ini-mods, un-unstall lw, clear cache/docs, verify files via steam,
(start xcom once,) re-install LW, (start lw once), add mods & personal .ini edits...

both fails after 'major' win10 update.

(translated with google translator, but the main point is clear - f*** u win10)

EDIT:
'shortcut' seems to work (now);
>validating steam files (=verify integrity of games files..)
>re-install lw
>install mods
...ini's are untouched - "date modified" are same as before....
...savegames are ok...