Grenadiers suck.

hamds28

Re: Grenadiers suck.

Post by hamds28 »

Zork wrote:
hamds28 wrote:My Needle Grenadiers lose a bit of steam before plasma. The Biggest Booms buff should help, and I think maybe if Boosted Cores gave 2points of damage to plasma but only 1 to special grenades, that might even up the playing field. I wouldn't bring my couple of needle grenadiers to a long HQ battle, but they're solid enough soldiers. I also don't do the SMG thing.
The much better AOE of plasma grenades in my opinion totally counter balance other grenades special effects. For now only fire is challenging because you get a chance to disable an enemy with fire. But AOE dammages, AOE shredding, AOE cover destruction can be huge, so really I don't get all those comments about plasma grenades. For me they look fine.

Moreover with Red fog option I heavily doubt any other grenades can compare to Plasma. But it doesn't matter, if you prefer another type of grenade then use them.

For long battle like HQ, I will admit that when enemies are closing 40 there's more chance I play last pod or even last two pods without any grenade. But HQ allows a team of 10 and then offers much more flexibilities like to include 2 Grenadiers and even have one or two Grenadier dedicated to grenades with Full Kit perks, 16 grenades for an HQ, fine in my opinion. With less grenades don't waste all of them on first pods, keep them more to use them like jokers than like routine tools.
The problem with grenades for cover destruction is that it isn't AOE. At least not effectively. The environmental damage falls off (even with perks), so you're much better centering the aoe on the cover you want to blow up, rather than try for multiple.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if it's just a fluke, but well leveled grenadiers made two intel miniretels and one Haven Defense rather easy. The first one was a Flashbang grenadier, didn't yet have Sting. The second one was a damage Grenadier, almost full left tree with Tandem Warheads. Haven Defense came and because ADVENT kept running out of cover coming all from one direction, they clumped like crazy and got blown to bits along with the crates they were trying to hide behind, that gave her a level and Volatile Mix, into blowing up even more ADVENT in the intel miniretel that followed immediately after. Wish I had taken Salvo, but ah well.

I haven't tried them in Rendevous, but the frontloaded missions seem rather good for damage grenadiers. By the time you're out of explody things, the main squad should have managed to make it into a position to assist.
crimsonsun

Post by crimsonsun »

I find Grenadiers very useful, but rather than go over what's already been said I will only go on to add that I find them the best resistance leaders when you need to hunt informants. Against Faceless and basic advent Grenadiers are Death and they can almost single handedly win the mission, which while is possible with other classes in specific environments the Grenadier can always do this.
Zork

Post by Zork »

hamds28 wrote:
Zork wrote:The problem with grenades for cover destruction is that it isn't AOE. At least not effectively. The environmental damage falls off (even with perks), so you're much better centering the aoe on the cover you want to blow up, rather than try for multiple.
Damages isn't only for cover but also shredding, Hp reduction and ensure some damages. Moreover with the two skills for cover destruction is it still true? I feel too random the cover destruction so I don't base my tactics on that, could be an error I do, but I still find damages grenadiers quite useful.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
Dlareh

Post by Dlareh »

Grenadiers are a useful addition to missions when I run out of other, real soldiers on squad select.

Their grenade launcher's extra range and radius turns them into slightly-enhanced rookies.
Excitement continues to build as city centers across the globe prepare for the latest incarnation of Groundhog Day.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Zork wrote:
hamds28 wrote:
Zork wrote:The problem with grenades for cover destruction is that it isn't AOE. At least not effectively. The environmental damage falls off (even with perks), so you're much better centering the aoe on the cover you want to blow up, rather than try for multiple.
Damages isn't only for cover but also shredding, Hp reduction and ensure some damages. Moreover with the two skills for cover destruction is it still true? I feel too random the cover destruction so I don't base my tactics on that, could be an error I do, but I still find damages grenadiers quite useful.
If you have both environmental damage perks then you can, in fact, absolutely and completely obliterate cover in the game.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

So am I the only one that uses grenadiers extensively (L/I)? I bring one on every mission, and he's carrying 3 sting grenades and 2 incendiaries.

Basically every GOP for me is Shinobi + Grenadier + 3xDamage. Being able to shutdown half the enemies makes everything much easier, and incendiaries by themselves do good damage for most of the game. Blue screen protocol is excellent for controlling mecs and improving hack chances. Also, sting grenades can shutdown Sectopods, one of the most reliable ways of dealing with them.

You can do other ridiculous things with sting grenades. For example, if you can get indirect vision on an unactivated pod, you can launch a sting grenade without activating them, and they'll just be stunned out in the open.

The grenadier is most effective when things have gone bad, like say you've activated far too many enemies. Rapid Deployment + Salvo, and you can launch 2 stings and an incendiary and you're safe again.

That said, I don't like their design, relying entirely on OP sting and incendiary grenades. If those were brought into line with other grenades, grenadiers would indeed be terrible.
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

In my last HQ assault the Gernadier save the day with his gas gernade.

Was engaging a pod when 1 more pod yellow move in and another follow behind that scouted by my shinobi.

That is no way my squard can handle 3 pods at once without thining them down. So the brave gernadier stay in front and throw plasma gernade to damage the first pod and gas gernade to dmg the 2nd pod on the edge of vision. Everyone move back and setup OW with the killzone ranger and gunner setup on both side of the gas gernade area of effect. Aliens will not move thru the gas cloud if they are not immune. This basically funnel them to either side of the gas cloud. Both emptied their elite expanded magazines than managed to bring down 6 advents. The other were pick out other and by next active turn. Without the gernadier abilities to launch 2 gernades in same turn and the range, this may not be possible.

Hence I will not said gernadier suck, but like all soldier classes you need to plan your tactics around your square composition and react accordingly to situation.

The poor guy did end up need to be in AWC for almost a month.....
hamds28

Post by hamds28 »

JulianSkies wrote:
Zork wrote:
hamds28 wrote:
If you have both environmental damage perks then you can, in fact, absolutely and completely obliterate cover in the game.
Does Combat Engineer add a flat environmental damage to the entire radius, or is it scaled down?
Zork

Post by Zork »

hamds28 wrote:
JulianSkies wrote:
Zork wrote: Damages isn't only for cover but also shredding, Hp reduction and ensure some damages. Moreover with the two skills for cover destruction is it still true? I feel too random the cover destruction so I don't base my tactics on that, could be an error I do, but I still find damages grenadiers quite useful.
Does Combat Engineer add a flat environmental damage to the entire radius, or is it scaled down?
A good question, what I know is in my current play, my single grenadier with both cover destruction perks definitely does more coherent and systematic damages to covers, but it's no way comparable to a technical using rocket. I'm a bit skeptical about this build and in my opinion it doesn't worth it because it generates like a less good technical, trade last skill with cover destruction for Full Kit is a much better choice for all builds based or partially based on grenades damages.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
Zork

Post by Zork »

Dong101 wrote:In my last HQ assault the Gernadier save the day with his gas gernade.

Was engaging a pod when 1 more pod yellow move in and another follow behind that scouted by my shinobi.

That is no way my squard can handle 3 pods at once without thining them down. So the brave gernadier stay in front and throw plasma gernade to damage the first pod and gas gernade to dmg the 2nd pod on the edge of vision. Everyone move back and setup OW with the killzone ranger and gunner setup on both side of the gas gernade area of effect. Aliens will not move thru the gas cloud if they are not immune. This basically funnel them to either side of the gas cloud. Both emptied their elite expanded magazines than managed to bring down 6 advents. The other were pick out other and by next active turn. Without the gernadier abilities to launch 2 gernades in same turn and the range, this may not be possible.

Hence I will not said gernadier suck, but like all soldier classes you need to plan your tactics around your square composition and react accordingly to situation.

The poor guy did end up need to be in AWC for almost a month.....
Interesting that's a good quote. A significant number of enemies are immune but still it's a use to keep in mind.
hamds28

Post by hamds28 »

Zork wrote:
hamds28 wrote:
JulianSkies wrote:
A good question, what I know is in my current play, my single grenadier with both cover destruction perks definitely does more coherent and systematic damages to covers, but it's no way comparable to a technical using rocket. I'm a bit skeptical about this build and in my opinion it doesn't worth it because it generates like a less good technical, trade last skill with cover destruction for Full Kit is a much better choice for all builds based or partially based on grenades damages.
The grenadier is a bit more mobile, accurate, and has better shred though. They also don't need a highly specialized armor like the lategame WAR suit for Technicals. I've been thinking about leveling a full sapper, because in this campaign I have a gunner and a ranger who rolled super well on NCE and have monstrous aim without horrible stats in other areas. It's a huge waste of damage to use Demolition.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

hamds28 wrote:
JulianSkies wrote:
Zork wrote: Damages isn't only for cover but also shredding, Hp reduction and ensure some damages. Moreover with the two skills for cover destruction is it still true? I feel too random the cover destruction so I don't base my tactics on that, could be an error I do, but I still find damages grenadiers quite useful.
As far as I remember, and I could be wrong, the Combat Engineer perk not just adds a another flat bonus to the environmental damage, it also removes the damage falloff from the grenade.

Particularly, if memory serves me well, if a piece of cover survives being hit with a grenade with both Sapper and Combat Engineer buffing it, the only thing that can destroy that cover is a Bunker Buster rocket (that can destroy literally anything)
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

My grenadiers fall into 2 builds: low aim guys become Sappers and if they're not tanking I expect them to be doing their job without being seen - launching from a rooftop where the ballistic arc lets me target somewhere without any risk of direct line of vision. A hacker spec will have Air Drop for them to keep going on small missions.

High aim grenadiers (e.g. from Black Market or a rescue mission) become smoke spammers. No inventory space for fancy Sting flashbangs, everything is smoke grenades. This is a useless build for E.Light 5-man GOps. Just so happens I do nearly no E.Light 5-man GOps once June comes around. With PCS, I can guarantee high aim grenadiers have 10 mobility while weighed down by full inventory and a rifle. That's good enough for a lot of timers since 8-man GOps don't need the whole squad to run to the objective and back to the evac. Even fixed evac where it spawns far away are manageable with 10 mobility - I just have to kill everything fast enough.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
hamds28

Post by hamds28 »

JulianSkies wrote:
hamds28 wrote:
JulianSkies wrote:
As far as I remember, and I could be wrong, the Combat Engineer perk not just adds a another flat bonus to the environmental damage, it also removes the damage falloff from the grenade.

Particularly, if memory serves me well, if a piece of cover survives being hit with a grenade with both Sapper and Combat Engineer buffing it, the only thing that can destroy that cover is a Bunker Buster rocket (that can destroy literally anything)
Huh. Interesting. I'll see how my sapper/HEAT baby grenadier does.
Zork

Post by Zork »

hamds28 wrote:
Zork wrote:
hamds28 wrote:
The grenadier is a bit more mobile, accurate, and has better shred though. They also don't need a highly specialized armor like the lategame WAR suit for Technicals. I've been thinking about leveling a full sapper, because in this campaign I have a gunner and a ranger who rolled super well on NCE and have monstrous aim without horrible stats in other areas. It's a huge waste of damage to use Demolition.
Ok Technical rocket involves problems of moving before shooting and accuracy, except that Javelin Rockets + Nuclear is in fact more mobile because of range and ignoring obstacles along the path. When you had the extra AOE size, the full cover damage grenadiers lag behind.

The picture is totally different by replacing Combat Engineer by Full Kit and not trying make a Grenadier replace a Technical with rocket. Moreover with Shredder and Rapid Fire a Technical can be a pretty good shooter too, not a Grenadier. At least Ghost Grenade adds a an extra very special grenade, and Full Kit is just another level so at this point the Technical can't compare and just have different strengths and weaknesses.

But ok a rocket Technical and a Damage Grenadier with Bunker Buster aren't the same and the second has its plus, it's more my subjective opinion and my play not much focused on covers destruction, so have just two uses from a rocket Technical is far enough for me. And also because I prefer much more the damage grenadier with full kit.

Demolition skill is a pointless boredom, I'm bored use it for nothing (as far I remember LW2 changes nothing it's same in XCOM2), the game should says clearly what will be destroyed and if there's a chance then the chance level should be shown, like it is it's non sense blind design.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Zork wrote:Demolition skill is a pointless boredom, I'm bored use it for nothing (as far I remember LW2 changes nothing it's same in XCOM2), the game should says clearly what will be destroyed and if there's a chance then the chance level should be shown, like it is it's non sense blind design.
LW2's Demolition is actually different from the base game, vanilla demolition has an 87% chance to work (that I think is shown) whereas LW2's is 100% chance of destroying the cover of the target!
It doesn't destroy every last piece of cover, however, only the cover affecting the attack. That is, if the enemy is in an L-shaped cover and you use Demolition then whatever cover needs to be destroyed so that the target will become exposed to the Gunner will be. It can be unreliable if you have a guy perpendicular that you're trying to help but generally since your troops tend to come from the same direction it's very reliable.
Noober

Post by Noober »

stefan3iii wrote:So am I the only one that uses grenadiers extensively (L/I)? I bring one on every mission, and he's carrying 3 sting grenades and 2 incendiaries.
Definitely you are not the only one - this is my go to as well.
But I use technic instead of 1 damage and/or a hacker if it's a hack mission.
Grenadier in the 1.4 is extremely strong. Bluescreen and sting are amazing! And fire grenade is not that difficult to have on Legend at may-early june cause of at least 1 officer is always spawn on randev. mission (at least for me). There are only 5 of them require to equip all of your 4 squad with 2 fire nades so I usually rush PG as soon as I have those.
Zork

Post by Zork »

JulianSkies wrote:
Zork wrote:Demolition skill is a pointless boredom, I'm bored use it for nothing (as far I remember LW2 changes nothing it's same in XCOM2), the game should says clearly what will be destroyed and if there's a chance then the chance level should be shown, like it is it's non sense blind design.
LW2's Demolition is actually different from the base game, vanilla demolition has an 87% chance to work (that I think is shown) whereas LW2's is 100% chance of destroying the cover of the target!
It doesn't destroy every last piece of cover, however, only the cover affecting the attack. That is, if the enemy is in an L-shaped cover and you use Demolition then whatever cover needs to be destroyed so that the target will become exposed to the Gunner will be. It can be unreliable if you have a guy perpendicular that you're trying to help but generally since your troops tend to come from the same direction it's very reliable.
Ok LW2 approach is more coherent but it remains that I don't want learn myself what target it can destroy or not and the point is to my eyes no way it's 100% but random.

Wait do you mean it destroy anything as soon it's a cover for the soldier using the skill? I would swear this isn't true and there's some cover not destroyed.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Zork wrote: Ok LW2 approach is more coherent but it remains that I don't want learn myself what target it can destroy or not and the point is to my eyes no way it's 100% but random.

Wait do you mean it destroy anything as soon it's a cover for the soldier using the skill? I would swear this isn't true and there's some cover not destroyed.
As far as I'm aware, any cover that can be destroyed by any means will be destroyed by LW2 demolition. There are a handful of cover pieces that are just plain indestrucible (most commonly destroyed vehicles), but those won't get blown up by a grenade or rocket either. It's an extremely consistent ability compared to how it was by default in XCOM 2.
Zork

Post by Zork »

fowlJ wrote:
Zork wrote: Ok LW2 approach is more coherent but it remains that I don't want learn myself what target it can destroy or not and the point is to my eyes no way it's 100% but random.

As far as I'm aware, any cover that can be destroyed by any means will be destroyed by LW2 demolition. There are a handful of cover pieces that are just plain indestrucible (most commonly destroyed vehicles), but those won't get blown up by a grenade or rocket either. It's an extremely consistent ability compared to how it was by default in XCOM 2.
Ok thanks, I'm pretty sure sometime when I used it I was expecting a cover destroyed and it wasn't, ok looks like I need try use it more and put more care of sight and type of cover.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Grenadiers do need proving ground projects to excel IME.

I have found both pure right side and pure left side fairly weak. I don't think you're supposed to go all middle column, but rather dip in and out.

I like a hybrid similar to joinrbs's build. Heavy ordnance to double up on fire grenades, volatile mix for radius, rapid deployment and sting grenades. Versatile and powerful IMO. This campaign all my grenadiers had really high aim (delayed GTS) so they also kill things with rifles.

One build I quite like is a shooty officer hybrid for if you get one with good aim. I wouldn't necessarily choose to make a high aim solder into a grenadier but if you get a rookie promotion in-mission it's a good build. RD, CM, Form, Dense, chain, VM, FK or ghost. Make him an officer. Nice versatile solder for small squad missions. Also good with pistols if he gets Quick Study in the AWC.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Zork wrote:
fowlJ wrote:

Ok thanks, I'm pretty sure sometime when I used it I was expecting a cover destroyed and it wasn't, ok looks like I need try use it more and put more care of sight and type of cover.
And to note, he mentioned cards being indestructible and they actually are, but they do still explode if you hit them with Demolition, and since cars deal consistently 6 damage to anything in the tiles surrounding them that's one extra use.
aedn

Post by aedn »

Zork wrote:
JulianSkies wrote:
Ok LW2 approach is more coherent but it remains that I don't want learn myself what target it can destroy or not and the point is to my eyes no way it's 100% but random.

Demolition destroys cover that is between the gunner, when said cover is next to the target. The only cover it does not destroy is vehicles, but it will explode vehicles causing damage, and turns full cover on the sides of large vehicles into half cover.

It's vastly superior to sapper it's not even close in terms of value.
Steelflame

Post by Steelflame »

The ways I handle Grenadiers.

1. Check AWC perks. I play with all AWC perks shown, because it massively changes how you might use a guy if you know he'll have access to Cool under Pressure as an Assault, or Kubikori as a Shinobi, or just decides how you may want to spec your perks. A Sting Grenadier is obviously better if you are getting a free flash grenade for 4 days in the AWC for instance.

2. Aim stat. I'll tend to bias high aim grenadiers toward defensive grenade builds, but low aim ones to offensive builds. I may also make that low aim Grenadier an officer just so that he can have more non-shooting based actions to do.

3. Needle works on Exo suit abilities. This can be considered a MAJOR buff to the Exo suit on a damage Grenadier for missions where you can get corpses, or other missions where you want to blow your major AoE on that 8 person pod that you can 1 shot a few people in through a wall that you spotted thanks to a scout. I'm not sure if Rocketeer is in the AWC, but if it is, that would be major for that as well.
crimsonsun

Post by crimsonsun »

Steelflame wrote:The ways I handle Grenadiers.
3. Needle works on Exo suit abilities. This can be considered a MAJOR buff to the Exo suit on a damage Grenadier for missions where you can get corpses, or other missions where you want to blow your major AoE on that 8 person pod that you can 1 shot a few people in through a wall that you spotted thanks to a scout. I'm not sure if Rocketeer is in the AWC, but if it is, that would be major for that as well.
I didn't realise this at all and its something I could make some good use out of...