Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

Post by johnnylump »

Are you guys who are getting this all using the caps lock trick? 'Cause that's not supported and could cause problems.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

Johnnylump, I get this from time to time. I stopped using the caps lock trick after the first time it happened and broke my game to the point where I had to rebuild the config files. But this was a year ago. Just yesterday this happened to me after doing Shen's last gift. After I restarted the game, I was able to complete the DLC. Most of the time, it doesn't happen but the game starts lagging like crazy after 2 and a half hours. In an attempt to prevent this bug I try to restart the game very 2.5-3 hours and it seems to solve the issue. Generally speaking, restarting the game seems to fix this. Now having to restart that often is something that started after LW2 came out.
Sacred Sakura

Post by Sacred Sakura »

I dont use the capslock trick usually. Lately from time to time I do though, just to see if it has any influence on the issue, and it seems like it does not.
I can also confirm that, the longer the game is running, the worse the performance. I also feel like that the early game runs smoother as well, but that may be due to the lower enemy count.

Hi Ciroth btw :D I'm dreadnought on twitch.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

When I had this pre-LW2 I got it reliably on the 1st council mission which is how I could weed out culprit mods. I still got it whether I caps-locked or not.

With it only happening twice in my LW2 playthrough, there's no way to prove it. Although looking at my memory graph every time I finish a mission there is nothing I can see memory wise that changes from mission to mission. No spike, no continuous ramp to max, and no flushing or dumping.

I just wish I could reliably recreate it. I'm coming to the conclusion it's down to mods installed (inc LW2), memory available (or other hardware limit) and whether there's a Y in the month.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I do not use the Caps Lock trick, no.
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

I havent used that capslock trick since the game was first released.

After enabling the console (to manually move vips who spawned inside objects) i've been watching the mass stream of errors & warnings which spew through when the game loads new areas. The game appears to have issues with customization mods like freethehood & capnbubs, none of those appear completely fatal..

Interestingly enough tho, when the camera underneath the avenger bug happens the console spams the hell out of -
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (158.52 KiB) Viewed 236380 times
helpful? or would a full console log be more useful?
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

johnnylump wrote:Are you guys who are getting this all using the caps lock trick? 'Cause that's not supported and could cause problems.
It occurs to me even though I don't use the capslock trick -- on the other hand, I do run in borderless windowed mode and tab out a lot so I can do stuff whilst it loads in the background.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Arcalane wrote:
johnnylump wrote:Are you guys who are getting this all using the caps lock trick? 'Cause that's not supported and could cause problems.
It occurs to me even though I don't use the capslock trick -- on the other hand, I do run in borderless windowed mode and tab out a lot so I can do stuff whilst it loads in the background.
Fullscreen here.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Well -- i don't use Cap-Locks & i just got my very firsty instance of that Camera-Under-Avenger bug.

If that can help diagnosed the issue...

-- Save-Scumming often.
-- Occured after the special Retaliation mission with multiple Re-Inforcement cycles. Saved some Rebels.. Evac'ed All while the last Alien Pods kept spawning.
-- Avenger returns screen with Rewards is Ok.
-- The usual Video transit "flush screen" happens in the background.. then, NO promotion debrief screen & that flaw.

I'll try re-loading a few times.. but if nothing works -- this is a game-breaking event, sadly. :(
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@Desslock, yes, please upload your log.

Can anyone test this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/ ... r_bug_fix/
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Not even sure if i've been consistantly clicking mouse or pressing ESC while exiting the Avenger once the "Press any Key" green message shows up... but i did reload the last Tactical save from the file mentionned earlier & purposely clicked the Mouse to verify & the Flaw **DIDN'T** occur this time.

Sooooo -- two possiblities;

1) Hinted before.. memory leak caused by extensive system re-calls (save-scumming .. multiple reloads .. heavy burden via tons of Mods .. RAM limits .. virtual stash) & so on.. could be the culprit most of us are experiencing.

2) Too many Mods installed that require HUGE amounts of both cache & runtime cycles.. that are bound to collapse eventually under certain conditions. Including how the clearup process happens between Tact&Strat layers.

Thus -- here's my fairly small List of active Mods which i somehow doubt overloads (My mid-range PC) too much. The only heavy mod i've recently installed is the InfiltratorSuits.. for testing purposes.
---------

Code: Select all

[Engine.XComModOptions]
ActiveMods=DiverseFacepaints
ActiveMods=ShowMeThePersonel
ActiveMods=Morearmorcolors
ActiveMods=Moreskincolors
ActiveMods=NewHairmod
ActiveMods=CovertOpsArmor
ActiveMods=ProgressiveArmorLessAnarchy
ActiveMods=CapnbubsAccessoriesPack
ActiveMods=UpgradeReminder
ActiveMods=Upcomingeventsinhours
ActiveMods=ProgressiveArmorOptions
ActiveMods=ProgressiveArmorResistanceOptions
ActiveMods=ShowEnemiesonMissionPlanning
ActiveMods=OverwatchAll
ActiveMods=MrKXCom1Stuffs
ActiveMods=BlackMarketTradesIntel
ActiveMods=MakeHealsPersist
ActiveMods=SoldierSelectIcons
ActiveMods=LifetimeStats
ActiveMods=DarthMaulMod
ActiveMods=MoreHotkeys2
ActiveMods=EvacAll
ActiveMods=KillCounter
ActiveMods=MissVoicerussian
ActiveMods=StartingSoldiers
ActiveMods=SomeMoreAchievements
ActiveMods=AlwaysFasterDebugCamera
ActiveMods=Uniforms
ActiveMods=BlackmarketUsage
ActiveMods=WeaponUpgradeIndicators
ActiveMods=ModAchievementSystem
ActiveMods=CosmeticEquipChange
ActiveMods=LW_Overhaul
ActiveMods=AchievementsForLW2
ActiveMods=CommandersChoice
ActiveMods=LW2BetterSquadIconSelector
ActiveMods=FlankPreview
ActiveMods=TrueConcealmentForLW2
ActiveMods=EasierDarkEvents
ActiveMods=EasierWarRewards
ActiveMods=CentralShenTyganSkins
ActiveMods=MGOInfiltratorSneaksuitsforLW2
ActiveMods=GeoscApps
ActiveMods=LAByrinth
ActiveMods=ModConfigMenu
ActiveMods=qUIck_FLG
ActiveMods=qUIck_FLO
ActiveMods=qUIck_FP2
ActiveMods=qUIck_FP3
ActiveMods=qUIck_FP4
ActiveMods=qUIck_FP5
ActiveMods=qUIck_LW2
ActiveMods=QuietBradford
ActiveMods=SwappImg

[IniVersion]
0=1486442560.000000
---------

Maybe helpful, right? --"AlwaysFasterDebugCamera"-- is the only tricky candidate (and thus.. Patch-7 parametrics, indirectly) for such errors, IMO.
Although there is a LOT of "Invalid Net Index" references in the LOG.
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

johnnylump wrote:@Desslock, yes, please upload your log.
I believe my issue has been solved *crosses fingers*..

Restarted my campaign but not before trashing all /config and removing every cosmetic mod. Played the new campaign through till liberating my first zone and have yet to have the issue return, would have happened 5-10times by then in previous attempts iirc.

I'll dig out the old campaign and reinstate the mods to try to capture some log data, as that screenshot i posted was all i extracted.
slogo

Post by slogo »

johnnylump wrote:@Desslock, yes, please upload your log.

Can anyone test this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/ ... r_bug_fix/
im kind of shocked, but this does seem to have made a difference. my case was a very reliable camera sticking at the end of every second mission, completely predictable, happening for ages, must have restarted 20+ times due to this issue. this evenings play session, clicked to continue rather than any-keyed, and got past 5 missions without incident before calling it a day.
Sacred Sakura

Post by Sacred Sakura »

I tried it too and got to play pretty long without the bug, but just now I still got it. Thing is, its too inconsistent to judge if just clicking helps avoiding it, sometimes I get to play a good amount of missions, and sometimes just 2, I will however continue to simply click, and observe that a couple days.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

I've been getting both this bug and pure virtual function crashes well before Long War 2, and I'm pretty sure in both cases it's due to running out of memory. Some mods (in my experience, Stop Wasting My Time and Lifetime Stats are both prime offenders) make it happen faster and more often, but even the base game un-modded has problems. And the less RAM you have, the faster it will happen as well.

But no matter how much RAM you have, if you play the game for too long and / or do demanding missions with lots of enemies (Avenger Defense and the final mission in vanilla, pretty much any mission in Long War 2), the exact same thing can happen. Either you will get the under the avenger bug or you'll randomly crash with a pure virtual function error.

Now, it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm doing, but I think XCOM 2's garbage collection doesn't trigger as often as it should. If you go to XComEngine.ini and search for MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC, you'll see that it's set to 130000... meaning that it doesn't trigger until the number of objects in memory reaches that amount, whether they need to be cleaned or not. Which in my experience doesn't seem to be that often, meaning that there's stuff residing in memory that's both not needed and gradually leaks more and more over time. The reason it's set that high is because of a performance drop / hitch that happens when it triggers, which in reality doesn't seem to be that noticeable (and happens only for like a second or less). But if the game is leaking memory and garbage collection "fixes" it, then a minor hitch here and there wouldn't be that big a deal, wouldn't it?

Again, it's possible (and probably probable) that I don't know what I'm doing, but I set MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC to 0. And aside from the extra hitch, I haven't had any other problems, crashes or anything since then. It might just be a coincidence or pure placebo effect, but I have noticed a big difference with garbage collection triggering much more often.

For those who want to try (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!):

- Open XComEngine.ini
- Search for MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=130000
- Change that to MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=0
- Save the file
- Set it to read-only
- Launch XCOM 2 with the default launcher for the next launch, NOT any alternate mod launchers since they don't like read-only files
- Other mod launchers are fine for every launch afterwards

Again, this needs further testing and might not actually do anything, but I have noticed a difference with that setting changed.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Enhas,

That's really interesting; thanks for the post. I'll ask FXS about it when I get a chance. I'd like to hear others' experiences with it.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

I don't get this bug often any more, but I'll give Enhas' suggestion a go and keep my eyes peeled. Given continued suspicions about memory loss it's definitely worth a try.

Just gotta avoid that pesky confirmation bias...
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Also just tried Enhas' suggestion. The issue has happened about 5 times for me now in total since starting LW2 so it may be a while before I can say conclusively that this fixes.

But if it does - thankyou Enhas!
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

It still needs more testing, but so far I've found that MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC does seem to work at lowering memory at the cost of some added hitches. In one case, I saw total memory usage drop by nearly half a GB. I'm not sure if it also affects virtual memory usage, but I've never seen mine go above 3GB or so.

Rain effects seem to be resource intensive and, unlike what I said in a now-deleted post (since I further tested and found what I said to be wrong), *does* get garbage collected like everything else. It just doesn't feel like it since it's always on in missions that have it, so it can take some time to kick in. While removing rain entirely through editing RainPctChance in XComGameData.ini to 0 does mitigate that problem, it really seems a bit extreme to disable a feature of the game entirely to work around a performance issue.

If you are having slowdowns or crashes due to rain, set your pre-rendered frames (Nvidia) or flip-queue size (ATI) for XCOM 2 via the control panel to 4. This will make the game use more CPU but should keep your framerate smooth, since for some reason rain tends to be resource hungry.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Enhas - I Followed your instructions a few posts up and still got the crash. It was raining though. Have made the NVidia change suggested above and will continue to test. Left rain % alone for now.

Side note: Upgraded my RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb - not made a difference and also upgraded GPU from 970 to 1060 - again no difference apart from being able to run on max graphics settings.

Side Side Note: Still not had this happen without using Caps Lock. Monitoring video memory shows some significant differences in memory utilisation while waiting for the "Press Any Key To Continue" prompt.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

I got a crash yesterday during a mission that had rain as well, so that might be a separate and unrelated problem. But I've not had any other crashes or under the avenger bugs since making the MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC change.

Setting pre-rendered frames up does help there though, at least for FPS drops, because rain doesn't seem to be that optimized.

Another thing I discovered yesterday is that if you clean out your config folder for any reason (keeping XComEngine.ini is usually fine though), you must launch the game with the default launcher first if you use any alternate launchers. If you clean out and then launch directly with an alternate launcher, you can get severe performance drops because for some reason the configs don't get correctly redone even though the folder repopulates. So if you clean your folder, launch with the default launcher first, exit and then use your alternate.
Andala

Post by Andala »

Enhas' solution by changing MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC to 0 in DefaultEngine.ini definitely solved the problem for me. Loading is MUCH quicker and the memory is not running out anymore but rather stays at a mangeable level.
Last edited by Andala on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
nekoworkshop

Post by nekoworkshop »

For me, the problem is solved by disabling Uniform Manager. I started a new campaign yesterday and somehow accidentally enabled the Uniform Manager. The result is eight forced restart (yep I actually started counting that since it's getting outrageous) during 11 A.M to 8 P.M. Needless to say it was super frustrating... After disabling Uniform Manager last night I haven't encountered a single case of this problem during today's play. Will see if it's confirmation bias or just being lucky.

I'm a bit of skeptical about the memory being related to the problem, considering that I'm using a workstation with 48 GBs of RAM and the problem still happened to me every hour until I disabled Uniform Manager.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

So I did do the change that Enhas suggested. While I did not have any camera under the avenger, I hadn't had it for a while so I don't know if it had helped. What it did do for me was cause a lot of stuttering when moving troops. What I think was happening is an issue with loading the voice lines for moving troops. I think there needs to be some objects loaded, perhaps more than 0 to help with this?
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

The game still always loads what it needs, as far as I know voice packs stay in memory for the entire level and don't get cleaned.

Maybe you could try deleting your config folder (except for XComEngine.ini) and loading the game with the default launcher with all the mods you want to use checked, and also delete the local shader cache in the CookedPCConsole folder (if any). This will redo the ini files properly, after which you can use an alternate mod launcher. I had problems with moving soldiers dipping the FPS down to single digits before I did that.