Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
CyanideParadox

Re: Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

Post by CyanideParadox »

Also, I've noticed that every time I verified game files after the bug happens, it's always the same 2 files that fail to validate and need to be reacquired. Unfortunately, there's no way (that I know of) to know what those files are.
Mesh2007

Post by Mesh2007 »

Have you tried clearing your config folder out?
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Tried it, didn't work. Though I can consistently replicate this bug after the second mission of a session. That is, when I first load up a game, I can do one mission no problem, but the second mission, boom, camera gets stuck under the Avenger. Exit game, restart, do another two missions, get the bug again.

Nothing campaign killing, but it's annoying regardless. Plus clearing out the config folder does nothing but reset my graphics settings.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

I have had this bug before on my old PC since Vanilla, and it would be consistent and game-breaking (always get stuck no matter what I do).

My new PC hasn't really had the issue.

Maybe it's a core engine problem with the actual game code.

The lagvenger has always ran slower than it should.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

XCOM 2 is a bloated and unstable game. The issue with the camera under the avenger is, like others, a memory leak. I highly doubt just having a lot of RAM is going to solve it. My game usually starts at 4.1gb RAM usage right off the bat and steadily climbs. Once it hits 5.5-6.0 I'm in danger of crashing, and it will hit that at some point.

Uniform manager is very quick to cause this issue as well. I know Beagle runs a massive host of cosmetic & other mods adding on to LW2 as well but I'm not sure if he or others have this issue consistently as well.

This is Firaxis' problem but the likelihood of them doing anything about it is nil.
Rord64

Post by Rord64 »

Made an account just to post here. Having the exact same issues as all the people above. I've tried it with mods, without mods, and everything in between. I've fiddled with my graphics settings. I've deleted LW2 and re-downloaded it to make sure it wasn't that. I've tried it all save for a full game reinstall.

For me at least, the problem extends to the LW Toolbox and LW Perk pack as well. I know for a fact these mods are doing it as I'm able to run 50+ mods including armors and voicepacks with no issue when I don't have LW mods installed.

I haven't seen anybody else post this, but does it have anything to do with LW2 having a negative file size? It come up like this for me in the launcher:
Attachments
asd.png
asd.png (17.37 KiB) Viewed 227795 times
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Okay, so I've now successfully run several consecutive missions in a row without running into the bug. Still don't know the exact cause though. What I did was disable all mods except for Long War 2, play a few missions, then slowly reintroduce mods over time. So far no camera stuck issues. I also disabled the Resistance Warrior Pack DLC if that was causing anything.
Skibbles

Post by Skibbles »

I had this problem, and solved it by a recommendation in here to remove After Action: Wounds.

I'm still early in the campaign but it has yet to crop up again.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Rord64 wrote:Made an account just to post here. Having the exact same issues as all the people above. I've tried it with mods, without mods, and everything in between. I've fiddled with my graphics settings. I've deleted LW2 and re-downloaded it to make sure it wasn't that. I've tried it all save for a full game reinstall.

For me at least, the problem extends to the LW Toolbox and LW Perk pack as well. I know for a fact these mods are doing it as I'm able to run 50+ mods including armors and voicepacks with no issue when I don't have LW mods installed.

I haven't seen anybody else post this, but does it have anything to do with LW2 having a negative file size? It come up like this for me in the launcher:
I'm supposing this is because the AML is storing the mod size in bytes using a signed 32-bit int. LW2 is currently 2.2 GB, so this would represent an underflow error. It's going to get a bit bigger with patch 1.1, because we're adding Mac/Linux-compatible movie files to the build.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Am now well into May - probably around 30 missions maybe and still no issue. It's only happened once. Memory use seems relatively constant across the board (i.e. consistently bad). It's actually worst when in the customise screens with all the cosmetic crap I have kicking about.

Stuff I've done:
- Flushed configs before starting the LW2 campaign (but not *after* getting the error)
- Turned off AA in graphics menu
- Removed all mods LW duplicates (free reload, 30 ability icons etc - find the compatible mod list and unsub from anything that has a comment re: "LW2 does this")
- Removed Tactical Kill Counter (xp kills to next level ui that's useless with the new xp system)

Stuff I've not done:
- Stoppped pressing Caps Lock to advance mission end load
- Stopped pressing Esc to bypass dropship landing
SrBeren

Bug - Stuck looking at avenger's legs after mission.

Post by SrBeren »

Just finished my secound actual mission in the campain, great sucess! However after the cutscene I don't get back to the avenger, I'm just stuck looking at it's "legs". Tried loading a save game a few turns before the end of the mission, same bug happens.

Have anyone encountered that?
Skibbles

Re: Bug - Stuck looking at avenger's legs after mission.

Post by Skibbles »

SrBeren wrote:Just finished my secound actual mission in the campain, great sucess! However after the cutscene I don't get back to the avenger, I'm just stuck looking at it's "legs". Tried loading a save game a few turns before the end of the mission, same bug happens.

Have anyone encountered that?
This is basically what we're all talking about here.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Rord64 wrote:Made an account just to post here. Having the exact same issues as all the people above. I've tried it with mods, without mods, and everything in between. I've fiddled with my graphics settings. I've deleted LW2 and re-downloaded it to make sure it wasn't that. I've tried it all save for a full game reinstall.

Just to verify - you're not trying to run LW2 and Alien Pack at the same time, right?
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

I've caught this disease aswell. Never had the issue before installing Longwar2... and i ran through the campaign again in the weeks leading up to longwar2's release with no issue.

I've had 2 restarts of lw2 campaigns (i'm addicted to early game for some reason *shrug*) .. and they've all gone the same way, first 5-10 missions end fine with firebrand landing and my troops enjoying their celebratory promotions/hospital visits. After that seems like i cant complete more than a single mission without having to save the game piled ontop of the extraction flare.

Game requires quitting to desktop and reloading before the mission will complete properly. Simply reloading the saved game from the "looking firebrand's legs" results in the issue repeating. Is there by anychance a way to disable that landing cutscene entirely?
kidd1991

Post by kidd1991 »

This game would be super playable if someone figured out why the camera always no matter what gets stuck under the bloody avenger. It doesn't matter what we do to get it to not happen, Ive done everything possible and i still get the same thing after every single mission. Ive even gone to re-subbing to all the mods i did have and just subbed to the ones that do work with this mod and still no change, its just an endless cycle of the same thing happening. Ive yet to hear from 2k about this so it has to be the mod itself or something, tho even before i started this mod it was doing the same thing. Like almost everything in my computer is brand new and etc so nothing makes sense at all on why it keeps happening.

Never mind, sorry for the bad first part. Its lasting a lot longer once the mod got patched and all, making it longer then the first 6 times.
Attachments
This is what i use to get when it happened, it just crash
This is what i use to get when it happened, it just crash
Crashdumwatcher..JPG (24.17 KiB) Viewed 227651 times
My rig
My rig
RIG.JPG (13.93 KiB) Viewed 227651 times
Last edited by kidd1991 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kdwjv

After victory screen bug

Post by kdwjv »

not show sodiers rank up screen (=landing skyranger)

show strange screen
Attachments
bug screen
bug screen
bug.jpg (111.7 KiB) Viewed 227605 times
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Can someone who is consistently seeing this issue upload a savegame here?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxWKB ... S10azEweU0

In this thread, please note the name of the savegame and the steps to reproduce. Ideally it would be the end of a tactical mission with just one button to press, followed by the exact actions you take in the post-mission screen.
Sacred Sakura

Post by Sacred Sakura »

For me, this problem isnt consistent, and when i get it, I have to close the game. When I restart and load that last game it will not happen again until I played another few missions, so a savegame from me wont be any help there.
I noticed that the black screen (appears after clicking the button and before the landing cutscene starts) is not a real blackscreen. It has objects, particles (butterflies actually), and lights there. It seems like the game is trying to load something else before that cutscene.
The weird thing is, the more stuff I see on that "black screen" the bigger the chances that the cam gets stuck. :(

That whole thing is very inconsistent for me, sometimes I can play 6-8 missions, and sometimes just two. Never less than two though.
Im pretty sure its something in the basegame, I had that without LW too occasionally, but regging the inis would fix it back then.
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Sacred Sakura wrote: I noticed that the black screen (appears after clicking the button and before the landing cutscene starts) is not a real blackscreen. It has objects, particles (butterflies actually), and lights there. It seems like the game is trying to load something else before that cutscene.
The weird thing is, the more stuff I see on that "black screen" the bigger the chances that the cam gets stuck. :(
To add more details, it's fine if it's just the particles, or a small part of the ground that appears during the black screen, but if an entire room appears on the top right (The hangar/armory?), then the next screen will show the "Under the Avenger" bug.

Back when I got this bug consistently, the bug would never occur after the first mission completed in a session. However, it would always happen after the second, or in some other people's cases, 6-8 missions. The only temporary fix that works would be to exit the game completely, then reload the save. Simply reloading the save from underneath the Avenger won't work, nor will exiting to the main menu then reloading the save. It has to be reloaded after exiting to the desktop, then starting the game again.

Also, this was during 1.0, I'm not sure if anything in 1.1 changed anything since I haven't run into the bug since I ran the procedures I mentioned in my previous post.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

I'm not sure a save file is going to be useful, because in my games, reloading the save fixes the issue.

I've copied and pasted the useful information from the Steam thread in case it's any use:
Synthorage
Hi, I can offer some input here. I've come across this bug while working on my mod and narrowed down the cause to faulty garbage collection in it. I can then force the bug to occur by writing garbage creating scripts that generate a ton of objects and not cleaning them up. With milder settings it happens after a little while. Aggressively it'll happen on every mission return or reload.

Since it's happening with several mods and even to unmodded games, I'm suspecting this is how the game reacts when running out of memory.

By objects I meant classes. I initially failed to destroy classes after spawning them. I'm pretty sure that the screen listener triggers also contribute. Setting my listener to the facility overview for example would definitely cause the bug even with cleanup.
AxelF
I'm the author of the Tech Tree mod and encountered this issue with an early version of that mod. Basically, you have to be very careful when dealing with global variables that reference UI elements and make sure the variables are cleared when a screen is closed. You have to clear the variable directly as opposed to relying on the built in garbage collector.

I suspect one or more mods are encountering the same thing though I'm not sure why it would start happening after the patch. It is possible that a mod was updated soon after the patch and it was the mod's update, not the new game version that is causing the issue.

Of course, this is pure speculation on my part based on my experience in modding the UI.
I am also not convinced that the engine itself is 100% accurate in clearing it's own objects. Investigation into how the game itself calls Remove on its objects is difficult.

Edit: I should point out that a Garbage Collector is a mechanism built into various developing environments that alleviate the need for programmers to directly release no-longer used memory. If someone (the garbage collector or the programmer) doesn't clear the memory for objects that have gone out of scope, it causes a memory leak. If the leak is triggered enough times, you get memory errors. I'm convinced the camera stuck under the avenger is the result of a memory error.

The XCOM api has a garbage collector but it does not seem to be 100% accurate. So us modders have to directly clear the memory used by our classes and object variables. However, the documentation is silent on this, both in the fact that it has to be done as well as how to do it. I personally call the object's Remove method as well as setting the object variable = none.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I now get the camera under the avenger bug every 2 missions, happening after the 2nd one. Every single time. Cleaned .ini files multiple times, even reduced some mods in recent days. Don't know what to do anymore, game is pretty much unplayable now. Just don't know what to say about it anymore.
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Sylvester wrote:I now get the camera under the avenger bug every 2 missions, happening after the 2nd one. Every single time. Cleaned .ini files multiple times, even reduced some mods in recent days. Don't know what to do anymore, game is pretty much unplayable now. Just don't know what to say about it anymore.
This is what I used to do before searching for a different method. Start a new campaign with Long War 2 with all your desired mods, then reduce them until the bug goes away. Not only did this not fix my problem, but it also came with the usual bugs and glitches that come with removing mods mid-campaign.

Try deleting the config folder as usual, start XCOM 2 without mods, then restart it with JUST Long War 2, then slowly introduce mods as you play. When I did this, I didn't encounter the bug at all (So far).

In short, if you run into this problem, don't start a new campaign with ALL your mods then slowly reduce them one my one, start with just Long War 2, then slowly introduce them. I still don't know the exact cause for why this is, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be tied to load order (Which you can manage by using the XCOM 2 Alternate Mod Launcher).
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Replying from this thread here because it's more relevant here--
johnnylump wrote:Moving out of bug reports. OP, you're welcome to contribute to the existing thread on this in Elevated Bug Reports. We very much want a savegame where this is consistently reproducible so we can review the code where it's taking place.
Unfortunately as others have stated, this really isn't exclusive to LW2. The problem is that you will essentially never get a savegame that allows consistent reproduction of the error because it typically goes away if you close the game down and launch it again from the last tactical save.

As best as I can tell, it's more likely to occur when the pagefile (or 'commit charge' for those with Process Explorer) is nearing capacity. On my system, at least, the pagefile slowly accumulates garbage over the course of days or weeks, causing issues if I don't shutdown or reboot on a semi-regular basis. My physical RAM can be maxed out and XCOM2 won't care (although I do rarely get the pure virtual function call crash instead, as happened when I accidentally left a stream open in a firefox tab) but as soon as the pagefile starts to jam up, it starts chugging.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

I'm not sure it's down to virtual memory running out. This is my Aida64 data from the second time this happened in (according to Steam) 50hrs of LW. 16Gb RAM installed.

1 is where the mission ends
2 is where I press Caps Lock
3 is when I end up under the Avenger
4 is where I alt+F4 out of the game
5 is the game coming back up and me going on to successfully complete the mission back to the strat layer.

This looks no different from a "good" mission where I land quite a way above the landing struts.

The spreadsheet I put together from around 15 missions (before I gave up thinking AA had fixed it) was showing that the average on my system is:
Idle (Win 10, no active programs apart from always on stuff like backup monitors, Aida etc): 3Gb Physical, 4.4Gb Virtual
Strat layer messing about: 7.3Gb Physical, 11.3Gb Virtual (Game assumed to be using +4.3Gb Physical, +6.9Gb virtual)
Tactical it goes up to 7.9Gb Physical & 12.3Gb Virtual (Game now using +4.9Gb physical & a whopping +7.9Gb of virtual memory)

This was "high" but still within what was available on the system when it happened. On no occasion did I see a ramping up of memory (physical or otherwise).
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

XCOM 2 doesn't flush the memory it uses and it stays on Standby forever. Memory usage constantly increases until you get stuck under the avenger, but worse of all is how game performance and frame rate dies overtime.