Default MEC perk "One for All"

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Haplo12821

Default MEC perk "One for All"

Post by Haplo12821 »

I like how in Long War it made the MEC perk "One for All" a *default* perk. I was wondering where that is in the various files because I would like to replicate that for other soldier classes. Nothing game breaking (though with great power comes great responsibility!), but I would like for the Tactical Soldiers to come with "Lock n' Load" similarly. As well as Support to get "Opportunist" , Scout/Snipers to get "Low Profile", and Weapons guys to get "Will to Survive". Just as examples. if I could break it down even more granular and make it different for the split classes within, that would be even better; I would just like to know how/where to modify.

Sub to that: would there be a way to grant a default perk to the Squaddies? I would really like to have the "Opportunist" perk be a default for everyone as a mild version of the above, to include the newest rookies I am having tag along to replace a fallen veteran from a later mission. Then at least they aren't a TOTAL "Red Shirt" with Storm Trooper Accuracy on top of the over watch negs.

I have dug around in all of the files I can in the games data and just cannot find where to put a default perk like the MEC one. I cant even find where the MEC one is if I wanted to take it off or replace it for example. So if anyone knows and could help with recreating that feature, I would greatly appreciate it. I love long war, and learning to mod it has taught me a ton of modding I use for other games. I just cant crack this one.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Default MEC perk "One for All"

Post by johnnylump »

If I recall correctly, additional default perks or rookie perks can only be granted be granted via hex editing XComStrategyGame.upk, and it's probably pretty involved -- you'll have to add new lines in hex and alter memory sizes. Is that something you're up for?
Haplo12821

Post by Haplo12821 »

I haven't played with hex yet, but might as well start learning. So if that's the file, I can begin taking a look and learning! but now I know why I couldn't find it previously!

And thanks for the fast response!
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Sure. Start with UExplorer, and look at class XGStrategySoldier, function SetSoldierClass, which is where that magic happens ... it's going to take some time to figure out hexediting and then interpret all our crazy workarounds, so good luck.