[Request] Punishing Reenforcements

For requests, ideas and general mod talk
FollyofFolly

[Request] Punishing Reenforcements

Post by FollyofFolly »

I have watched probably like 6 hours of gameplay from various points in the game, and while I cannot say I have witnessed all the game in its release form, I have noticed that the reinforcements come in limited numbers, generally advent troops and mecs, and with a quick deployment for overwatch, they can easily be wiped out. It really cheapens the game. It is like Advent is dropping a small group of underpowered troops straight to their death, and its no sweat for the player.

So I propose, that when reinforcements start appearing, they increase with frequency unbounded, up to multiple times within one turn, and should include enemies up to Sectopods, so its no joke, being out of position late in a mission can easily wipe out a squad, and the troops are too strong and numerous for grinding (for experience and loot drops).

Essentially, like when the rebel squad catches up to you at a jumpgate in FTL edition, facing off against a particularly strong enemy while on a clock for taking major damage from the Anti ship batteries.

Also, heavily buffed and continuous reinforcements could be put in as an alternative to the absolute mission failure clocks, like the 9 turns to escape with the VIP.
Valaska

Re: [Request] Punishing Reenforcements

Post by Valaska »

They can drop with shield bearer/lancer, heavy mec, and an officer, typically they are elite as well, or advanced. This means that a reinforcement drop is actually surprisingly effective, so long as you do not properly react to it! It's not really an issue that we can wipe them out on landing, as simply it's just effective tactics and usually takes the entire team to gun the reinforcements down.
Jason

Post by Jason »

My thoughts,

I have only played the game through on normal mode which turned out to be a cake walk. The drops are easily to shoot to bits BUT on rare occasion they land in the right place at the right time to really mess you up.

Also on harder difficulties I expect they are more of an issue to deal with.
Coldcall

Post by Coldcall »

hence why i will start on toughest difficulty because from what i have seen XCOM 2 vanilla is way too easy. I think it gets boring when you start on normal modes just to get the hang of it, when its actually just easy on whatever mode. Had LW not been released i would have had very few playthroughs with XCOM as it was just way too easy compared to original 90s XCOms. LW gave XCOM almost limitless playthroughs depending on your appetite for masochism and self flagellation.