random bluescreen crashes =(

Troubleshooting instructions here
LilWeasel

random bluescreen crashes =(

Post by LilWeasel »

I was really looking forward getting to play your awesome mod but for some reason all I'm getting are bluescreens... =(

When I first installed the mod I got a bluescreen immediately, but booting up again and starting the game it seemed
to be working fine, and it did, until I got another screen of death on the second mission (and I was doing so well! 10 to 1 it wouldn't have crashed if I was losing, lol.) Anyway, my computer is fine, it can run the vanilla game on the highest graphics settings like a champ so I'm not sure why the long war mod isn't working, seems to be working excellently for most everybody else.. =(

I'm using Win 7 if that is of any help.

Also, I read a thread by another guy having some crash problems, and I was going to try out if his solution would work for me as well, but sadly, my computer skills aren't the greatest so I failed in carrying out the instructions... =(

This is what he (Holand NL.) wrote: "I think I may have found the solution to my random crashes. Instead of trying to look for errors and such I started to look if I could do things differently on my end like you said. It seems that booting the game directly from the launcher in the binaries map allows me to run the mod without any issues. All the crashes have stopped and I am able to enjoy the mod without any problems. Perhaps this is a new step to suggest in the trouble shooting directions!"

How do I do this? =( I can't find any Xcom bin file anywhere, I could find a folder but it was empty. =(

Where/How exactly do I find this file Holand is talking about? :D
Amineri

Re: random bluescreen crashes =(

Post by Amineri »

Look in your steam folder at :

\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32
LilWeasel

Re: random bluescreen crashes =(

Post by LilWeasel »

Ok, if I start the game with the launcher instead of the shortcut I can actually get it up and play it for a while, (without any bluescreens..), but it still crashes... like just randomly crashes to the desktop.. sometimes after playing just for a few minutes, sometimes after an hour or so.. =(