Random crashes

Troubleshooting instructions here
Holland_NL

Random crashes

Post by Holland_NL »

First of all I would like to thank everyone at the long war studios for making this amazing mod. It is good to see that there are still people around who keep the spirit of the original xcom alive. I got to play your mod and enjoyed it a lot but I am plagued by crashes which seem to happen completely at random. Sometimes I can play xcom long war for 2 hours sometimes only 5 minutes before it crashes. There seems to be no specific instance where the game would crashes like during booting up, loading or the ends of turns.

I am quite desperate here since I would really love to continue playing. Would you fine ladies and gentlemen at Long War Studios be able to lend me a hand? It would be most appreciated.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Random crashes

Post by johnnylump »

Did you run the troubleshooting steps?
Holland_NL

Post by Holland_NL »

I have done the steps twice now except step 7.6, looking at the {app}\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe with the hexeditor because the file said it was updated when I installed the mod.

Is it possible that we have a new case on our hands here?
Last edited by Holland_NL on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Moved to troubleshooting ...

I don't know what else to advise. Random crashes don't suggest a problem with the code, which would tend to create reproducible crashes. I would recommend testing your hardware, updating drivers, running virus scans.
Holland_NL

Post by Holland_NL »

Oh sorry, I did not see that there was a trouble shooting section up yet. I will try to see if it is something on my end and let you know if the issue disappears. I actually did a complete fresh install of my laptop not to long ago so I figured it probably was a problem with my game installation.
Holland_NL

Post by Holland_NL »

I think I may have found the solution to my random crashes. Instead of trying to look for errors and such I started to look if I could do things differently on my end like you said. It seems that booting the game directly from the launcher in the binaries map allows me to run the mod without any issues. All the crashes have stopped and I am able to enjoy the mod without any problems. Perhaps this is a new step to suggest in the trouble shooting directions!
Silver

Post by Silver »

I am surprised to see crush posts for this mod, I have played over 200 missions in Long War without the game ever crushing on me, not even once. I must be really lucky or not sure what... running it on windows 7
AdrianMr

Random crashes

Post by AdrianMr »

Dont have the game to try this and really dont want to play a racing game.... but something about "random crashes" says set single core processor affinity to me.
Felson7

Post by Felson7 »

Holland_NL wrote:I think I may have found the solution to my random crashes. Instead of trying to look for errors and such I started to look if I could do things differently on my end like you said. It seems that booting the game directly from the launcher in the binaries map allows me to run the mod without any issues. All the crashes have stopped and I am able to enjoy the mod without any problems. Perhaps this is a new step to suggest in the trouble shooting directions!
OMG, thank you so much. I was having repeated crashes at the end of a terror mission on my ironman save and this fixed it. So relieved now. :D