Children of a Dead Earth

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
Varicen

Children of a Dead Earth

Post by Varicen »

Does anyone else wonder how much influence CODE may have on Terra Invicta? Seems to be one of the few games that realistically simulates space warfare while avoiding magical technology.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Children of a Dead Earth

Post by johnnylump »

I've seen Children of a Dead Earth but not played it. I suspect we're actually drawing from some of the same sources -- the incomparable Atomic Rockets web site chief among them.
JOKER

Post by JOKER »

One interesting thing in CoaDE is that the game realistically depicts how brutal the range is in space. Though laser and railgun are very powerful, most battle will still be decided with missiles and attack drones, as they have so much range that even laser become "knife fight" weapon. It is also very hard to hit something with unguided munition, or even laser, on that range.

Another thing is, space fighters, or drones, are vital in this tech level. There are two reasons, armor and Delta-V. In CoaDE, space ships usually can't "tank" much damage, and have to rely on point defence. Thus, fighter-launched weapon can effectively damage big ship, and have some wild-weasel drone targeting enemy PD will make enemy's life more miserable. Fuel and Delta-V is THE most precious resource in game, commanders will not waste battleship's DV on some low-value target. Fighters and small vessels use much less fuel for same amount of DV.
Trionwolf

Post by Trionwolf »

Ive played Children of a dead earth, and i like how it seems space combat appears to take a realist approach based off of current understanding of how it would work.