Most General Question

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
Manifest

Most General Question

Post by Manifest »

1. While I know it's not far along, aside from being a Grand Strategy (which I haven't played much of), what kind of game is TI expected to be? That is, what is expected to make up most the gameplay?

2. While this is probably a very dumb question, will I like TI? If I liked the Long Wars or a game like Xenonauts would I mostly be expected to appreciate TI?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Most General Question

Post by johnnylump »

So the main reason we haven't gone into a lot of detail is that we can really hurt ourselves by appearing to promise a feature and then not delivering for budgetary, technical and/or fun reasons; far better to get lots of things done and then show you what we've got. Right now we're planning, budgeting, and doing architectural work, so there's not much sexy to show.

But the intent is the general game experience will be like grand strategy / 4x games, scooting around a map and making decisions about building things and during conflicts. The map itself will be the Solar System built on accurate orbital elements, with a Geoscape-like Earth to interact with -- the level of detail elsewhere in the Solar System is tbd, but we think this will separate us a bit from games that stick only to Earth or span the galaxy.

As for combat, we're hoping to do fairly detailed spaceship battles in which maneuver actually matters, instead of them just being primarily economic tests as in a lot of games, but, y'know, no promises. As for Xenonauts and Long War -- I'll repeat that we're not planning tactical squad combat; it's just not the scale we're telling the story at. But we are telling an alien invasion story, just primarily at up at the political/economic/strategic level.

Hope that helps.
Ucross

Re: Most General Question

Post by Ucross »

The realism and focus on the solar system kinda reminds me of the series "The Expanse" which I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Looking forward to it. =D