Ideas for Terra Invicta

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
ShiningOne

Ideas for Terra Invicta

Post by ShiningOne »

You guys are amazing. A couple days ago I began a thread on the steam forums with ideas for XCOM 3. It was brought to my attention that I should also include these ideas in a place where you will see them. These are ideas from the community on this thread, and we can continue the discussion here too if you would like. Can't wait to see Terra Invicta. http://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/di ... 868711369/
tidaldust

Re: Ideas for Terra Invicta

Post by tidaldust »

I think the way to go with innovating in this genre has always been either:
a) Give the strategic factions or "funding sources" more personality and internecine conflict
b) give the tactical level more personality - Jagged Alliance but 10x more
c) let the player be the aliens, plotting the invasion of a planet, trying to figure out its geography, politics, how to survive.
d) set the alien invasion in a historical setting and then archly tie historical events to a secret alien war.

TI devs appear to have picked option (a) and I eagerly anticipate seeing what they come up with.
The Guiding Light

Post by The Guiding Light »

Ummm, I thought Terra Invicta won't include tactical gameplay (i.e. XCOM). Instead it would focus on the bigger picture like a Grand Strategy and personally since I am a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig fan of Grand Strategies, I'm jubilant to hear it won't have squad tactical combat.
Sk0rpi0n

Post by Sk0rpi0n »

Hello!
Just sorry for my English. Would like to offer a story for a X COM
Galaxy. The point is, the story that humanity won the war against the alien invasion and extraterrestrial advanced race has sent its delegates to the Earth headed for space forces in the galaxy keeping peace and order.You have to make calls about the attack on a different world with its unique architecture and landscapes, races. Receive calls for help during the attack on various space stations and ships of various races and life forms. To develop the technology from the result of entering the Union of different races, with their technologies,the study tree may be huge. To accept not only people, but also a friendly race,to fight the warlike races. To create both in space and on planets its base. To use the advanced fighting in space using various space ships fighters, interceptors, attack planes and other types of ships. To engage in the carriage of goods from planet to planet to repel the attack of these goods to develop the industry of the planet, technology, defense bases and in the cosmos and on the earth, destroy the alien base in space and on the captured planets. My imagination painted the game that I am dreaming. In the project you can add with each patch new races and star systems with planets, respectively can be changed and the system of research and production of various things. Thank you for reading my wish for the production team, which in my opinion is the best.
Limehill

Post by Limehill »

The instincts of the Long War team are really groundbreaking compared to the general focus on spiffy visuals for most triple A titles but lacking entirely in imagination and originality. Pavonis really has some promise to come up with a fresh new experience for those of us who love to dream about saving the galaxy. Here are a few recommendations:

1) Make the game a pausable RTS, that has buttons that advance time in specific quantities (i.e. advance one day or advance one week, etc). That way noobies could play it on a more or less turn based level, but more experience players could disable the pause button in order to have a more challenging single player campaign or a smooth multiplayer / coop experience. [Please do not forget coop - increases the longevity of a game x10!]

2) Have a seamless model of the solar system with a fog of war mechanism. All battles would be run by AI unless the player chooses to zoom in and do a little micromanaging (but no load screen). Battles should take place in orbit around moons and planets or on their surfaces. The player can control the movements and targeting priorities of spaceships as well as the attack options of fortresses and battlestations, such as releasing ground troops to assault a position or dig in, jetpacking space marines over from one capital ship to a boarding action on another or strafing / bombing runs with starfighters. The player would not control individual squads of troops or formations of starfighters but can appoint commanders and decide when to release them and where.